Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lola lost a tooth

+5
Eph91
Mel
thminis
northernwitch
lola's mom
9 posters

Go down

Lola lost a tooth Empty Lola lost a tooth

Post  lola's mom 3/1/2010, 9:13 pm

I don't even know what to say. I am speechless.
I just got home, fed Lola and Logan and took them outside. I came back in and noticed something in Lola's dish.
It was her tooth! Oh my god. It was right from the root. I don't understand how I did not have a clue there was something going on with her tooth.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Lola lost a tooth Empty Re: Lola lost a tooth

Post  northernwitch 3/1/2010, 9:30 pm

Try not to freak out and beat yourself up. It can happen. Lola lost a tooth in my hand and I felt like a rotten mother--and she was 6 or 7 at the time.

Depending on what tooth it was, it may or may not signal an impending dental issue.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 3/1/2010, 9:56 pm

I am sick to my stomach over this.
She will never let me near her mouth and for some reason tonight she is super playful with a toy in her mouth. I tried to look a few times and she just clamps her mouth shut.
Anyway - I took a picture of the tooth.

[img]Lola lost a tooth 800401195_sN8S7-M[/img]
lola's mom
lola's mom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/1/2010, 10:27 pm

That looks like a pretty big tooth--but I'm not all that knowledgeable about dog teeth. When was the last time she had a dental, if ever? I say if ever not to be mean as some dogs just don't need them very often.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 3/1/2010, 10:36 pm

She's never had a dental. My own stupidity - I am scared to death to have her put under and of losing her. About a year ago I asked my Vet to look at her teeth and tell me if she needed one and she said no. Now I believe she most definitely should have had a dental. I'm sick sick sick.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/1/2010, 10:57 pm

Kerrie--you're too hard on yourself. However, that does look like a back tooth given the size and unless it fractured and fell out due to that, I'd worry about absessed teeth.

As scary as a dental is, bad teeth can really affect a dog's health in other ways. I'm sorry that this has happened to you and to Lola. Try to ease up on yourself....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 3/1/2010, 11:03 pm

Try to not feel so bad. You know if she had stopped eating or seemed in pain that you would have noticed sooner.

I'm confident you'll bring her in to the vet. Definitely be sure to since, especially if it is a back tooth, all of it may not have fallen out.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 3/1/2010, 11:21 pm

I am definitely bringing her to the Vet.

She never skipped a beat with eating and never once acted like she was in pain. But- she has been chewing on hard bones a lot lately. The nylo bones, lamb bones and most recently I gave her an antler. That could have aggravated the tooth all the more.

I'm always hard on myself. I just feel so bad for Lola and how this could have been prevented.
I can't even begin to tell you how the thought about her going under anesthesia makes me sick to my stomach. Ever since I lost a foster pug during a neuter I am an absolute mess about that.

I tried to peek in her mouth again and she will have no part of it. Maybe I can sneak a peek when she is sleeping.
I have always said Lola is going to be the death of me.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 3/2/2010, 12:42 am

I found one of Zoe's teeth on the floor last year. I remember reaching down to pick something up and then realizing it was a tooth! not a big one, but I kept it for awhile. heh She had a dental last Sept (?) and I was sooo worried. It's hard, but it's necessary. (Zoe's 5)
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 3/2/2010, 6:56 am

Don't beat yourself up over this! I was crushed when Wally had a dental (we went in for something else, and the vet noticed one of his teeth looked weird) and he lost lots of teeth in the process, but the vet assured me that he'd be fine, and it hasn't slowed him down one bit.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 3/2/2010, 12:30 pm

I have a Vet appointment for Lola on Saturday. They did not have anything before that but if she shows any discomfort or has any trouble eating I can call back and make an emergency appointment.

We are going to the Curly Tail rescue Vet who is great and has tons of experience with pugs. She will get a full check up since it is her first time there.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 3/2/2010, 1:43 pm

Poor Lola!! Let us know how the vet goes and don't beat yourself up. Dentals are scary! I was a nervous wreck when Genie and Dora had their teeth done.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/2/2010, 5:19 pm

aw, poor Lola! ouch! hope shes ok!

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 3/3/2010, 1:19 pm

for what it's worth...Jessie just lost a tooth. I noticed her chewing something, and made her spit it out. Yup, a tooth.

And she had a dental last June.

So she's going to have to have another one. *sigh*

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 3/3/2010, 10:23 pm

Murphy lost a tooth last year. The vet said it happens with this breed.

And like everyone said, don't beat yourself up. You're an awesome pug mom. You're the only one who I'd let watch Murphy when I went to Paris and you were all the way in NJ!! And I'd leave them both with you again!
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  pegatha 3/3/2010, 11:06 pm

Kerrie- She'll be fine. And she doesn't need teeth to survive - Bogey loves his food soaked in broth. And don't beat yourself up - I understand the fear of anesthesia. It is scary stuff. Peg
pegatha
pegatha

Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down