Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing

+4
Aussie Witch
smoochieface
Sara
Eph91
8 posters

Go down

As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing Empty As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing

Post  Eph91 3/16/2010, 5:59 am

If you saw my "shoe" thread, you know that Wally has peed in the house a few times lately. We went to our non-regular vet, who put him on antibiotics, but that urinalysis came back negative. On a follow up to our regular vet after the antibiotics were over, we did both a urinalysis in house (I actually collected it successfully!) and then they did a culture of their own "take" of his urine. We also xrayed him for good measure. All negative, which is good...and the tech who called to report this said they'd be concerned about kidneys, etc. if he were doing this often, but it's certainly (thankfully) not daily or several times a day, etc.

But...why has he lifted his leg (once on the kitchen chair, once on my hallway wall) twice since the shoe incident? I've seen him lift his leg on his brother before (thankfully, that time nothing came out) in the past--is he just being a dominant brat? I wouldn't put it past him...he is my bulldozer...

As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing 253213 Theories?
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing Empty Re: As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing

Post  Guest 3/16/2010, 7:36 am

I wish I could help you. Rupert started peeing in the house after I had my first group pug sleep over, once they got there mark in the house he now feels the need to continue marking at least 2-3 times a week.
Linda (our dog psychic!) says it's a habit now and there is almost nothing I can do to break him of it.
I hope you discover what is.

Back to top Go down

As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing Empty Re: As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing

Post  Sara 3/16/2010, 11:08 am

I honestly don't know, but I know you have to be frustrated.

Can you put a belly band on him and limit his freedom (like a puppy?) until he understands you mean it?
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 3/16/2010, 1:58 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but I know our boys have regressed in the past if there is a change in schedule, usually if we're away on vacation for a while. After our honeymoon, Bruno decided he could pee just about anywhere but outside. He marked the bed, the pillows, the furniture. And even now, when we're in that in between rainy stage where it will rain for a day and then clear for a day and then rain for a day -- someone eventually gets confused or lazy and starts peeing in the house instead of going outside or using the doggie litter box.

When the regress, we usually have to start all over again. Limit access, keep an eagle eye on them, etc. Takes about a week or so of re-training and that usually does the trick, until the next rainy season. We
never used belly bands or anything like that but I know others have to good success.

Glad to hear that Wally is fine. Hope you get the peeing under control.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/16/2010, 2:13 pm

I'm glad all is okay, but it does sound like it's turned into a behaviour issue, which is very frustrating! I agree a belly band might be in order if it's getting out of hand.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/16/2010, 2:39 pm

Belly bands for sure. I assume he's not old enough to have CCD as that can manifest as house training issue.

I can email you some good info on retraining marking if you want. It can be labour intensive, but worth it.

I'd also get the ultraviolet light and go through the house in the dark to make sure there aren't any lingering pee spots......
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 3/16/2010, 8:34 pm

Thank you all for your input! It could be weather related. He's pooped in the house before when we've had a huge snow storm--and the last 2 times he peed, it was raining...(we haven't had rain in a long time, having just been through winter...)

Wally is pretty limited roaming-wise (both are). They are in the kitchen when I am gone (not a big kitchen at all); and when I'm home, they are usually in the same room with me. If I'm in the den (like I am now), I gate off the living room. The only option really is the kitchen, then...and I am planning to make sure I keep much more of an eagle eye on Wally, even if it means keeping him on a leash in the house when I'm doing something and he could walk away.

Blanche--Where does one get an ultraviolet light? And what is CCD? If the behavior continues, I'll PM you about getting that info., thanks!

I've never used a belly band, but if it continues, I am open to trying it!

Thank you all for your experience and advice!
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/16/2010, 9:03 pm

I got my light at PetSmart--looks like a black light and shows up pee as brilliant yellow. I'll warn you--doing this either makes you feel quite virtuous about your house cleaning or makes you want to burn down your house.

CCD is Canine Cognitive Dysfunction--canine alzheimer's. But generally only affects elderly dogs.

Sounds like it's weather related to me. I have a fair weather excreter.....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 3/16/2010, 9:12 pm

Thanks, Blanche. I'll check at the pet supply place next time I'm there, but I had that fear, too (about using a black light). I do think it's a weather thing...but I'll keep my eye on in it. And he'll be 5 in April, so I'm hoping it's not CCD--he still acts very much like a pup in lots of ways!
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/16/2010, 9:16 pm

Eph91 wrote:Thanks, Blanche. I'll check at the pet supply place next time I'm there, but I had that fear, too (about using a black light). I do think it's a weather thing...but I'll keep my eye on in it. And he'll be 5 in April, so I'm hoping it's not CCD--he still acts very much like a pup in lots of ways!
VERY unlikely to be CCD given his age and he's got no other symptoms. Age 5 is way too young for it.

I suspect it's partly weather, partly being a butthead and partly just a pug thing......
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 3/16/2010, 9:32 pm

northernwitch wrote:
I suspect it's partly weather, partly being a butthead and partly just a pug thing......

As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing Icon_lol

Word.

Thanks for the laugh.

I've been telling him all week, "It's a good thing you're cute!"
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/16/2010, 9:55 pm

I routinely threaten to massacre Hazel who is my indoor excreter.....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/18/2010, 5:26 pm

glad his tests are negative but sorry I cannot offer any advice about the peeing thing either...must be frustrating..im sorry to hear.

Sending you guys positive vibes!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/5/2010, 10:14 am

Other than behaviour issues, the only things I am aware of that cause unexpected urination is UTI (and you have had that checked), and cushings, and or diabetes. The urine test is not always perfect for diabetes as the renal threshold is fairly low in dogs (180), and because the glucose can vary so much, it could not show up on a urine test, and a blood test may be required. I too think it is behaviour, but thought I would be remiss if I didn't mention the other possibilities.

Back to top Go down

Post  tracipugmom 6/18/2010, 3:20 pm

that is horrible and once it's a habit it hard to break. have u tried the belly bands. it wont stop him from marking but it keeps the pee off ur stuff..
tracipugmom
tracipugmom

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 6/18/2010, 6:22 pm

Well, fortunately, *knock wood*, this was a while ago, and he's been good lately. It's like he goes in spurts (excuse the pun!).

If it does happen again, I will have blood work done, thanks. I don't remember the last time he had a panel done, but it wasn't too long ago.
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/18/2010, 10:05 pm

Eph91 wrote:Well, fortunately, *knock wood*, this was a while ago, and he's been good lately. It's like he goes in spurts (excuse the pun!).

LOL!!!!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 6/18/2010, 10:32 pm

Just being curious, but do you guys know at what age Wally was neutered (not sure if he's a rescue) and if he started marking before being neutered?

I ask because Reggie will go months without marking and then all of a sudden he starts up again. He's 6. We were stupid and waited until he was 7 months to neuter. And, if I remember correctly, he started marking about a week before the neuter (and it takes 30 days after the neuter to get the hormones out). Reggie is just so well behaved the marking always throws me off. It's hard to believe that it turned into habbit after he did it for not very long before the neuter, but it is the absolute only thing I can ever think of. His urinanalysis always comes back normal and his bloodwork is normal as well (except elevated cholesterol).
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 6/19/2010, 9:03 am

I got Wally as a baby, so I do know (well, not EXACTLY), but he was the standard 6 or 7 months. I don't think you're stupid to wait until 7 months. I'm not an expert, but I believe, unless there are other reasons, that 6 months is sort of the standard. I waited a little longer for Emmet because he hand an undescended testicle.

Wally was not marking before then, but he was the TOUGH one to potty train. Honestly, I think it's personality. The only accidents Emmet ever had were because he had UTIs (so it wasn't marking). Wally slept through the night in his kennel in my room (without crying or needing to go out) when I got him (young, about 8 weeks), but took well over a year for me to be able to let him be in the kitchen with Emmet when I was at work. He just is a bit stubborn! As suspected, Wally's tests were negative...so about that peeing Icon_lol

It's funny, because he is really very cuddly and always wants to be in the room with me (Emmet can be elsewhere) or on me if I'm on the couch, but he's also the dominant one (actually, that wanting to be with me is partially dominance, too--like, "She's MINE!"
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 6/19/2010, 8:29 pm

Reggie was ready (vx wise) to be neutered around 5.5 months. You're right that the standard is 6-7, but a bit younger is usually acceptable. I think I said we were stupid because it took me those extra 1.5-2 months to convince my parents to neuter him instead of taking up our neighbor's offer to breed him with their beagle. Now my parents realize how absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary it would have been, but it was a close call.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down