Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nose Roll/Skin Issue?

+2
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Amanda
6 posters

Go down

Nose Roll/Skin Issue? Empty Nose Roll/Skin Issue?

Post  Amanda 3/24/2010, 9:30 am

Poor little Lucy hasn't had a good time of it lately. She's acting a bit more normal than last week's mysterious behavior. On Sunday morning, I noticed her nose roll was a bit red and inflamed. The redness is more on the front/visible part of her roll rather than in the roll, if that makes sense. She was rubbing it on the furniture so I knew it itched her. I gave her a benadryl and cleaned it good. I gave her a bath later in the day in case there was something on her that was irritating her. The benadryl seems to help. If she leaves it alone, the redness pretty much goes away but as soon as she starts rubbing again, it gets all red and irritated looking again. I've been cleaning it twice/day and it seems ickier than it should be for as often as its getting cleaned. I suppose it could just be an allergy irritation of some sort due to the change in the weather? Any thoughts? Not sure if it warrants a vet visit or not. Generally, it's just the roll that looks inflamed but after she rubs it a bit, I notice some little red spots on her muzzle as well. There isn't any kind of drainage and it's not really open skin, just a bit raw/irrritated from the rubbing (which we try to keep her from doing as much as possible). Is there something else I can try treating it with? I have just been using a warm/damp rag then drying it good afterwards.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Nose Roll/Skin Issue? Empty Re: Nose Roll/Skin Issue?

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 3/24/2010, 9:37 am

I think it was for Tyson that one time the vet recommended using a warm damp cloth with just a little bit of plain dial soap added. Of course wiped out again with a warm wet cloth and dried real well like you've been doing.

If it is itching her, I wonder if you could put a little benadryl cream on the area...?
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/24/2010, 9:54 am

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:
If it is itching her, I wonder if you could put a little benadryl cream on the area...?
That's a good idea. She's had probably 3 full benadryl pills in the course of the last 3 days so it didn't seem like much but last night she had a bit of diarrhea. I don't know if it's related but I thought maybe the benadryl had irritated her stomach. I'll try the cream instead.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/24/2010, 11:28 am

Kendie started a thread a few weeks ago about cleaning a nose roll and someone had a suggestion for an alternative to Malaseb (which is unavailable at the moment, but works wonders).
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/24/2010, 11:37 am

Not Afraid wrote:Kendie started a thread a few weeks ago about cleaning a nose roll and someone had a suggestion for an alternative to Malaseb (which is unavailable at the moment, but works wonders).
I'll go take a look. I actually have some Maleseb wipes but they can be a little strong and I was afraid they might irritate her more given the current flare up she's having.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  jojopugs 3/24/2010, 11:45 am

If the nose roll is infected I know some people put Neosporin inside the roll after they clean it! I've done it to fosters and it worked great and healed up the infection.
jojopugs
jojopugs

Number of posts : 269

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/24/2010, 12:11 pm

Zymox makes a cream for skin folds that treats bacteria and yeast. It is available online, I get mine from Entirely Pets. They also have an excellent shampoo, and a ear drop med that is wonderful.

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/24/2010, 12:12 pm

PUGSMUM wrote:Zymox makes a cream for skin folds that treats bacteria and yeast. It is available online, I get mine from Entirely Pets. They also have an excellent shampoo, and a ear drop med that is wonderful.
Thanks! I use the Zymox Otic for Nell. I'll check out Entirely Pets. Lucy hasn't ever really had issues with her rolls and surprisingly, neither has Nell given all her other allergy issues.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 3/24/2010, 1:44 pm

If it is an infection, we clean gently and use Animax which is basically neosporin for dogs.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/24/2010, 2:16 pm

We have that problem with Hooli-I am almost sure it is from allergies because his eyes water, which then lead to the tears going into his folds and making them extra icky. And because he has a deep nose roll, everything accumulates there!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/24/2010, 3:08 pm

Saira, I'm thinking allergies too. Her eye was a little goopy the other day but not anything that makes me think anything was wrong with it, just general ickiness.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down