Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Lucy question - her leg

5 posters

Go down

Another Lucy question - her leg Empty Another Lucy question - her leg

Post  Amanda 3/29/2010, 3:15 pm

Lucy seems to pretty much be back to normal after her bout with odd/unexplainable behavior. Over the past few days though, I've noticed some limping. The thing is that she only does it for the first few steps after she's been laying down for a while, then she's fine. It's just 1 back leg. I felt her all over earlier and nothing on that leg seemed painful. I wondered if maybe it's an LP issue? Maybe the knee is popping out but pops back in once she starts moving? It is was some kind of arthritic stiffness, I wouldn't think it would work itself out that quickly. Plus, she's only 4. Any thoughts? When she was acting odd and not wanting to jump on the couch, etc. she wasn't doing any limping. Now she's back to jumping but the limping has started. Even if her leg was falling asleep, that doesn't even works itself out that quickly. The only baffling thing is that the vet really manipulated the heck out of her when we were there and I'd think he would have picked up on a knee or hip issue.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Another Lucy question - her leg Empty Re: Another Lucy question - her leg

Post  Renee 3/29/2010, 3:53 pm

I don't have any advice, other than to say that Ichiro does this occasionally too, and he is only 6. Now, he did have LP surgery, when he was a year old. The vet recently checked him very good to see how his knees are doing, and they seemed fine. The limping starts and ends randomly. I can't ever pinpoint a trigger for it. When he starts the limping, we just take it easy on play time, and wait for him to get better. I often think it is related to the hips or just the knees being sore.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 3/29/2010, 3:58 pm

We were having the exact same problems with Bruno. Vet basically said it could be a leg/knee thing or it could be a back thing. Because it was intermittent, he said the best time to bring Bruno in was when it was at its worst. If it wasn't the knee, then we would need an MRI to diagnose a back problem. You can imagine how hard it is to get Bruno into the vet at exactly the right time when you're trying to control a busy household at the same time. Well, we decided to get Bruno back on Synflex supplement, to keep him from jumping on and off furniture, and to carry him up and down the stairs. That helped a lot. That and getting some weight off him, which is still a work in progress.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/29/2010, 4:08 pm

Yea, that would be tough since the problem lasts like 30 seconds. I do need to get both girls on some kind of supplement, especially since we know Nell's knee isn't good (yet, she never limps and does a lot more jumping than Lucy!) Luckily we don't have a weight issue with Lucy.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/29/2010, 4:13 pm

Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 3/30/2010, 9:29 am

We've been having a similar probelm with Buster lately too. It's not consistently happening and when we took him to the vet, they manipulated the leg but couldn't find anything wrong. He'll limp every now & then and you can tell when it's bothering him because he walks kind of gingerly or bow-legged in the back. He was diagnosed with mild LP years ago but he's been on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement ever since. How strange that we're all experiencing a similar problem with our pugs at the same time. Another Lucy question - her leg Icon_scratch
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 3/30/2010, 9:37 am

Tilly too is experiencing a leg problem with a front leg. I think it is arthritis because she limps when she gets up and then it goes away.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 3/30/2010, 1:44 pm

Amanda wrote:Kendie, is this what you use? [url=http://www.amazon.com/Synflex-Synflex-America-Liquid-Glucosamine-8oz/dp/B000CBVUO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1269893362&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Synflex-Synflex-America-Liquid-Glucosamine-8oz/dp/B000CBVUO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1269893362&sr=8-1[/quote[/url]]

Si. That's a great price on amazon if you get free shipping. I usually order directly from them at the higher price but they are almost always running a free shipping thing. A little goes a long way. I give about a 1/2 teaspoon a day.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/30/2010, 6:40 pm

aw, arthritis is no fun. I have minor signs of it in my knee...I can imagine is uncomfortable for our dogs too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down