Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question about car safety

+4
Snifter&Toddy
PugMomTo2
Sara
Amy
8 posters

Go down

question about car safety Empty question about car safety

Post  Amy 3/22/2009, 12:48 am

Do any of you use car seats for your pugs? We strap ours into seat belts but I'd like to get something more secure.

What do you think of the FidoRido?
http://www.fidorido.com/fidoproducts

question about car safety Twoseater
Amy
Amy

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

question about car safety Empty Re: question about car safety

Post  Sara 3/22/2009, 1:57 am

I use a car seat harness, designed for the car for Co-Pilot any time we are in the car and she is in the backseat.
It looks like this, but a lot smaller, ha ha
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755199

I am not sue how the FidoRide Car seat is any more secure than a seat belt harness, but it looks neat that they can sit up higher and see out the window.

I do feel obligated to say a crate, which is seat belted in or secured somehow, is the safest place for our furbabies when riding in the car.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy 3/22/2009, 2:12 am

The main reason I like this is two dogs can be confined in one area, and I don't want them to bother the soon-arriving baby on the other side of the backseat. I've thought about crates too, but I still don't know if I can find one that will fit two pugs comfortably and still be secured in the seat. I should look around a bit. :)
Amy
Amy

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomTo2 3/22/2009, 7:06 am

Hi Amy,

We use a seat belt leash: Seat Belt Leash. You just slide them over the seat belt and latch the belt normally, then clip them to their regular harnesses. We have one for each pug and connect them both to the same seat belt. These give them a small amount of room to move around but keeps them contained.

We actually purchased a raised seat similar to the one you linked to, but the design caused the seat to vibrate and bounce a bit, causing both pugs to become carsick (a problem we don't have with the seat belt leashes).

I do agree with Sara, crates are the safest, but since Daisy is terrified of a crate, these work for us.
PugMomTo2
PugMomTo2

Number of posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 3/22/2009, 7:49 am

We have a specially made crate for the mini, which is secured in the back with bungee cords.

For the Smart I have seatbelt clips fitted in the back and I have special seatbelt thingies that link the harnesses to the seatbelt clips.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 3/22/2009, 7:52 am

We use this one in the large size. It has a thing to put the seatbelt through on top and belt it in. Both of my girls (15 & 17 lbs) fit comfortably but if it's really hot I'll put Aggy in her seatbelt harness. Izzy has to ride in a crate or she gets scared.

http://www.dog.com/item/petmate-fashion-kennel-cab-plastic-dog-crate/
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 3/22/2009, 1:34 pm

Amy wrote:The main reason I like this is two dogs can be confined in one area, and I don't want them to bother the soon-arriving baby on the other side of the backseat. I've thought about crates too, but I still don't know if I can find one that will fit two pugs comfortably and still be secured in the seat. I should look around a bit. :)

I'm not saying the crate is your solution, I just felt like it had to be mentioned for anyone that might be reading.

We keep Carter in the middle of the backseat (safest spot) and CP is on the side of him, she never bothered him, but she also has her seat belt harness on so she can't go too far. Now that he's in the Britax (rear facing) she does put her paws up on the side of his seat, but he's big enough to defend himself now. I both both the girls could fit together harnessed to one seat belt, or you could put one on each side if they like their space.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 3/24/2009, 2:44 pm

With our three little monsters, we never could figure out a good solution so we got a crossover SUV. The boys live in the carpeted cargo area and they can peek their heads over to keep Logan company in his rear-facing seat. We keep it pretty padded up back there with beds, blankets, and pillows. It seemed a lot safer to me than trying to confine all four kids to the back seat. But then again, Natasha and Bella are much better behaved than my boys.

But, when you use this method, you essentially don't have a trunk when the dogs are with you, which is why we got a super compact umbrella stroller that could fit in the back seat as soon as Logan was old enough to use one.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 3/25/2009, 10:52 pm

I have a Jeep Liberty, and my guys are just loose in the way back. It's not as safe, but the travel great back there. I like the look of those seat belt leashes!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/26/2009, 12:50 am

I use a version of the Seat Belt Leash for Thurston. We're in and out of the car all day long and I keep his seat belt installed almost permanently. He know to jump into the back seat and he lets me take off his leash and hook up the seat belt leash. I never let him ride in the front because if the air bags ever deployed, it would probably kill him. I've never used a crate with him in the car but I know it is probably the safest method. It's just not very practical for us for daily use and when we go on vacation, there is never enough room in the car. I suppose I could strap him to the top of the Volvo.

I'm KIDDING!!!!! afro afro afro afro afro
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down