Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair loss

5 posters

Go down

Hair loss Empty Hair loss

Post  Miss Pugg 4/3/2010, 9:39 pm

JAsmine has many health problems, including IBS, but now she's having more problems with hair loss. It's gone on her tail, under her eyes, her ears are hairless and the hairlessness is running down both back legs. She's going to the vet on Monday and her original problem is still with us. She's on many medications, 5 now I believe, and I'm terrified it might be Demodex. Annie Pug had it SEVEN times and passed away at a young age. Jasmine is a small, skinny Boston Terrier that I adore. Any ideas? Hair loss 335895
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Hair loss Empty Re: Hair loss

Post  northernwitch 4/3/2010, 10:40 pm

Could be a bunch of things, Joanne--thyroid issue comes to mind or it could be alopecia (not sure I spelled it correctly). I'd do some blood work to rule out hypothyroidism.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/4/2010, 1:16 am

I've seen many a dog with hair loss diagnosed with thyroid problems. Fortunately, that is an easy thing to supplement once you get the dosage right.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 4/4/2010, 11:37 am

I was thinking thyroid issues so hopefully it will be something simple like that.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/4/2010, 11:55 am

Hair loss at the tail--resulting in what is called Elephant Tail is particularly symptomatic of thyroid issues (I think I'm remembering that correctly)
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Hair loss Empty hair loss

Post  Miss Pugg 4/4/2010, 8:03 pm

Thanks to you all. I am hoping and praying it's thyroid and not Demodex. Her poor skinny body can't take much more. I'm really hoping she'll send us to the University of Illinois but she never mentions it. I've taken three dogs there so far, Lulu Pug for eye flap surgery, Josie Boston Terrier for eye removal, and Phoebe Pug for heartworm treatment years ago. Those folks are amazing. Willow Pug is on thyroid pills and Annie Pug was on them for years before her death but neither of them lost hair like Jasmine. She's so sweet and loving and my closest companion on 4 legs. I got her from rescue almost 3 years ago and I adore her!!! Hair loss 335895
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/4/2010, 9:05 pm

Joanne:
I'm not an expert on demodex, but my understanding is that it would be really unusual for a dog her age to get it. I guess not impossible, but rare, I would think. IF it is mange, it would more likely be sarcoptes which is easily treated.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Hair loss Empty hair loss

Post  Miss Pugg 4/4/2010, 9:51 pm

I've done the Demodex thing seven times with Annie but never had a dog with Sarcoptic mange. Jasmine doesn't scratch or dig at herself. First indication was when her ears had small scabs on them, then the hair disappeared. I was at the vet's just 13 days ago and since then, the hair loss has escalated. Oh yes, occasionally her thin ears will get bright red. Since she's allergic to mostly everything, I'm wondering if the ear thing might not be allergy related. I'm hoping for a thyroid diagnosis.. Hair loss 253213
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Hair loss Empty Hair loss

Post  Miss Pugg 4/5/2010, 8:46 pm

First, good news. She was tested for both manges and also for thyroid and she is clear of all of them. Bad news: Vet thinks it's due to allergies still. I have slipped lately and given her cheese and popcorn and pizza when the other dogs enjoy them. She did another AK test and she is allergic to - of all things - her kibble. She was tested OK with it last summer. It's Evanger's Pheasant and Brown Rice so now old Buffy has many pounds of Pheasant and Rice to enjoy along with the canned. She is still working thru the Eagle Pack, the 17 lb. bag we got for free due to buying 10 bags. Willow can eat only Solid Gold Beef and Barley and this is what Jasmine can have also along with canned Solid Gold. She was given more medicine and is now on 11 pills a day! She's awfully good about taking her pills but the huge ones have to be wrapped in canned dog food for her to get them down. The vet did skin scrapings from several different bald spots and some hairy spots and was really surprised when she didn't have mites. She also suspects the red, red ears are due to allergies also. I am anxious for this nightmare to be done and Jasmine healed. Oh yes, she gained a whole .05 of a lb. since 2 weeks ago so that's hopeful.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 4/5/2010, 10:38 pm

Those allergies can be awful. I know, Penny is allergic to most grains, and it gets ugly when she gets wheat. Hugs to you and Jasmine and hopes that she clears up soon.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/8/2010, 6:54 pm

I am glad its nothing too serious like thyroid problems, but those allergies can surely be a pain. sending positive vibes!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down