Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pugs with "bad backs"

+2
Aussie Witch
puglover22
6 posters

Go down

Pugs with "bad backs" Empty Pugs with "bad backs"

Post  Guest 4/21/2010, 10:48 am

I recently found out that Frank has a "bad back." In just over a week, he went from a very active 4 year old to be unable to walk or stand. He started out on Rimadyl, which made him feel better but then he would "re-injure" himself and gradually get better only to re-injure yet again.

It go so bad this past Saturday that he coudn't walk or stand. Well, we rushed to the vet. She gave him a shot of dexamethasone and gave me some pills of 5mg Prednisone for flare-ups. He's doing very well and even getting used to not going up the stairs, and instead waiting for me to carry him (the vet showed me the proper way to support his back). That being said, he is not playing like he used, to etc. - but his tail is curled - which is saying a lot.

I'm looking for advice from any other pug lovers with a pug that has a bad back... THANK YOU!!!

Back to top Go down

Pugs with "bad backs" Empty Re: Pugs with "bad backs"

Post  puglover22 4/21/2010, 11:20 am

I urge you to try a chiropractor. We have a fantastic one who extended the quality and length of Juniors life. Now Louie goes just for preventative maintenance and he loves it!
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/21/2010, 3:15 pm

I've been through 3 Pugs with bad backs, the most important thing is to know what's causing it and if it can be fixed. It is a worry that it's started so young, my pugs all became less mobile as they got older.

What I will tell you though, as told to me by vet, is that it is more hopeful if things seem to go wrong "all of a sudden" rather than a slow, progressive deterioration. The only way to know for sure is with a myelogram or MRI - both fairly expensive, but you will get conclusive answers. My Puck and LouLou both had myelograms which showed bulging discs at various points along the spine that over time were pressing against the spinal column and causing the deterioration. They both had surgery to fix things, LouLou's surgery slowed down the progression and Puck's surgery was VERY successful in giving her back a lot of mobility.

In Frank's case with a very sudden onslaught, it means that the damage is limited (SO FAR) because it happened so quickly. The most important thing now is to be 100% sure on what is causing it and how to treat it. Hold off on any chiropractic work until you get your vet's okay, as on some conditions it could be disastrous and others it may be miraculous. You just have to be sure what you're treating.

Good luck!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/21/2010, 3:37 pm

Robin, ironically I just got an email from Cathy in Texas with this link about a newish proceedure to help backs...

http://www.dfwvetsurgeons.com/downloads/Newsflash_rdvm.pdf
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Tocents 4/21/2010, 4:59 pm

Rona, I was just about to post this when I saw that you had. Initially it was only available at OSU in OK but I know they are doing it here in Dallas, so I imagine it's spreading across the nation and world.
Tocents
Tocents

Number of posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 4/22/2010, 10:15 am

I agree with everything that Rona said. He needs to see a neurologist to have an MRI done as soon as possible. Given that it set in so quickly & he is young they should be able to help him but the longer you wait, the more damage that there could be done to the spine & surrounding nerves. He also needs to be on strict crate rest to prevent further injury. The pugs that we've had with back problems were 8 years or older and it was more of a degenerative problem than something sudden. Good luck & please keep us posted on his condition. Pugs with "bad backs" 335895
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/26/2010, 10:48 am

Just catching this thread. Brenda and Rona are right - you should get him to a neuro for an MRI or myelogram ASAP. The sooner you figure out what the problem is, the sooner you can get it taken care of. The longer you wait, the more damage that will be done and the less likely his odds are of a successful complete recovery. I know these tests are not cheap, just had a CT and MRI done in November and I'm still paying off those credit card bills, but they're important to have them done to find out what's wrong. Treatment can vary depending on what the diagnosis is. If it's a bulging or ruptured disks, very strict crate rest is extremely important for recovery. My Makayla has a degenerative condition but her requirements are a lot different - she needs to stay moving as long as possible to maintain muscle mass and keep mobility in her legs as long as possible - for her, crate rest would hasten paralysis.

Good luck and I hope you find the answers you need for your Frank.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/26/2010, 6:03 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Frank! I hope that everything will be ok and he feels better soon! sending tons of positive vibes your way!

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 4/26/2010, 7:43 pm

As everyone has said, the fact that he is so young and this problem started out of the blue, he probably injured a disk. There is a chance that with strict crate rest for 6 weeks that the disc could repair itself. However, it might be that only surgery could repair it. Surgery needs to be done sooner rather then later before permanent damage is done. Also, if the pug improves, not going up and down stairs, jumping up and down from furniture and running should not be done. The disc could always bulge again.

My female pug has degenerative disc disease which was diagnosed by an mri. Her symptoms were very slow and gradual. Surgery was an option but since it is degenerative, it would not correct the entire problems.

I have been taking her to a doctor for acupuncture, and it has made a huge difference. However, you do not want chiropractic care or acupuncture until the disc has almost healed. More damage could be done otherwise.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down