Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me about marrow bones

+2
Renee
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
6 posters

Go down

Tell me about marrow bones Empty Tell me about marrow bones

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 5/18/2010, 12:46 pm

I've never given mine real bones to chew on, but Tyson has developed some tartar on his teeth. I'm sure a dental is inevitable, but if I can't reverse damage that's already done, I'm hoping to prevent anything further.
Do you have to go to a butcher shop/meat store to buy marrow bones?
Are there different sizes-if so what is best for a pug?
What's the procedure-scrape out the marrow since it's fatty? freeze?
How long do they last-are they something that can be left to chew on, or picked up and only given during "special" occasions?
Anything else I should know???
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Tell me about marrow bones Empty Re: Tell me about marrow bones

Post  Renee 5/18/2010, 3:19 pm

oh, this is a good question! I check at my grocery store for bones, but all they ever have are knuckle bones.

I am interested in what other's say.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 5/18/2010, 9:58 pm

Our grocery store has them from time to time in the regular meat case...usually about four in a pack. We have found the best ones to be about 3" long or so. I would scrape out the marrow and freeze them for at least 24 hours to kill the cooties.

Having said all that, I can't give them to Millie any longer. As she aged, her stomach couldn't handle the richness of the bones. They made her vomit or have diarrhea. But oh did she love them when she could tolerate them!
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanne 5/19/2010, 7:21 am

I believe 'northernwitch' freezes them for 72 hours to kill the cooties. I get 4" bones. When I had the girls (11 & 8) in for their 'once over lightly' this month, the vet commented on how great their teeth looked and how long it had been since a dental. Oscar had some neurological damage when he came to us (his face looks like he's had a stroke) so he doesn't chew as effectively as the girls. The teeth that he can use are in great shape.

Jeanne

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/19/2010, 5:42 pm

I use both marrow bones and regular soup bones. I do scrape out most of the marrow if there is alot as I find it too rich for my seniors and too fattening.

I do tend to freeze things for 72 hours.

Hey Jeanne. Nice to see you.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 5/20/2010, 10:36 am

I get them at a butcher and ask for them cut in 2" lengths. So far I've left the marrow in and had no problems. Maybe it's because they are smaller so there's less marrow. And also, my lot get hardly any treats so they wouldn't dare throw up the ones they do get - LOL.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down