Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone give the Zuke's dental chew bones?

+3
TxAllieGrl
Not Afraid
Sara
7 posters

Go down

Does anyone give the Zuke's dental chew bones? Empty Does anyone give the Zuke's dental chew bones?

Post  Sara 6/9/2010, 6:37 pm

These if you aren't sure what I am talking about.
http://www.zukes.com/woof/z-ridge.html

Does anyone think they are good, bad or otherwise?

I have tried them with CP and she likes them, but she does consume it, so far no problems but they scare me.

I want her to do some healthy chewing, but I would love to know other opinions. I can tell you despite the lady telling me they don't make a mess, the cranberry ones make a mess!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Does anyone give the Zuke's dental chew bones? Empty Re: Does anyone give the Zuke's dental chew bones?

Post  Not Afraid 6/9/2010, 6:42 pm

Zukes makes a great product. They are potato-based so they break down fairly easily and won't cause the major problems that Greenies do (don't EVER give Greenies dental bones to your dog).

I believe Zukes was one of the products I recommended in your original thread about teeth cleaning.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Does anyone give the Zuke's dental chew bones? Empty Re: Does anyone give the Zuke's dental chew bones?

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/9/2010, 7:08 pm

not that I believe it....

I was accosted by a Greenies rep in Petco the other day - I told her I'd never give my dogs a greenie b/c of the obstruction history. She insisted it had been reformulated and now will dissolve in water, so the obstruction potential is gone.

I still don't feel comfortable giving them to my gang. It's easier to choose something else than be concerned about the cost of surgery to remove an obstruction...

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/9/2010, 7:12 pm

Greenies HAVE been reformulated, but buy a Greenie and put it in a glass of water and set a timer. I wasn't pleased with the result. Your mileage may vary. (But, I still won't buy Greenies.)
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/9/2010, 7:32 pm

Thanks, I know you are an expert Lisa, I should have just printed out the original thread!

Now I buy her the 21-40lb size (she's 14lbs vut those ones are TEENY, and after 2 30 minute sessions, it's small enough that I throw it out, maybe I could get her the next size up, or does that sound about right?

I know the entire thing is intended to be consumed, but I'd rather she consume it in small pieces she bites off than let her have the way with the end of it.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/9/2010, 7:37 pm

I buy the Medium size for my dogs. (There's tiny, small, medium and large). They do great with the Medium and I like that size better than I like to smalls.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/9/2010, 7:43 pm

Perfect, yes the Small is what we've been getting and in no time it's a nub that I have to take away.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 6/10/2010, 9:46 am

Lola loves these. I only give her the Zukes on occasion when I am home. I alternate between getting the minis that she can chew/eat in one session or the small where I will take it away when she gets abouth half through. They do make kind of a mess because she will chew little pieces off and the cranberry leaves a stain. They are made of good ingredients so I don't feel bad that she eats the whole thing. Also the way that it is pressed together seems like if she eats the end or a big pieces that it will break apart and digest.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 6/10/2010, 9:48 am

Lola loves these. I only give her the Zukes on occasion when I am home. I alternate between getting the minis that she can chew/eat in one session or the small where I will take it away when she gets abouth half through. They do make kind of a mess because she will chew little pieces off and the cranberry leaves a stain. They are made of good ingredients so I don't feel bad that she eats the whole thing. Also the way that it is pressed together seems like if she eats the end or a big pieces that it will break apart and digest.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/12/2010, 5:33 pm

Penny loves them, and they don't come out in whole pieces in her poop like Greenies did. I give her the carrot and the mint ones in small - she will swallow the tiny ones whole and give me total heart failure - and take it away when she is down to the end. I really like all of the Zukes products, and so does she.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 6/14/2010, 12:08 am

Just tried these yesterday. I bought the medium, I think....and, Um, they didn't last long enough for me to even take it away! They were a big hit! I wanted the cranberry, but I was afraid of staining, so I got the potato one. Yummy treats, but a little expensive, and my gang ate them quickly. However, they did like them, so I'll buy a few in the future.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 6/14/2010, 6:22 am

I give the medium ones to Lola and Logan on occasion. I was happy with them and the pugs loved them. I usually take it away when they get through half and give the other half the next day. The cranberry makes such a mess. Lola likes to have privacy when she has something she really really likes and chews on my white bathroom rug. The cranberry stains did come right out though.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down