Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teaching "Roll Over"

+7
leslyeb
Imon
Not Afraid
GracieNEmma
Snifter&Toddy
Amber
sallyandtilly
11 posters

Go down

Teaching "Roll Over" Empty Teaching "Roll Over"

Post  sallyandtilly 5/21/2009, 10:59 am

Several of you asked how I taught Tilly to roll over. I told her "down" and then gently pushed her on her side. Then with a treat I got her to follow my hand over to the other side as I used the command. The first few times I helped her to roll over to the other side. She'll do anything for food, so it wasn't very hard. Don't forget lots of praise.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Teaching "Roll Over" Empty Re: Teaching "Roll Over"

Post  Amber 5/21/2009, 12:16 pm

When I have some free time I'm going to have to try this!! She looked so cute doing all her tricks!
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 5/21/2009, 12:49 pm

We were supposed to teach roll over in Snifter's first tricks class. We tried and tried and tried. Nope. Nada. Nothing. I expect Snifter thought it might make him look silly. Snifter Pug disapproves of silliness.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 5/21/2009, 2:14 pm

I think this one will be hard to teach my girls, especially Gracie. I taught Emma how to bow but this roll over thing seems hard. I have to agree though, the video of her rolling over is so cute!
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/24/2009, 9:56 pm

honey can barely even lay down when we tell her to let ALONE ROLL OVER BUT I GUESS ILL STILL HAVE TO TRY IT

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/25/2009, 3:11 am

Thurston knows how to roll over. All I have to do is wait until it is time for their before bed walk, approach him with the leash and buddy belt, say "Do you wanna go for a walk?" and he rolls right over!

pug2

Tilly is one smart girl!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/25/2009, 2:15 pm

you made it sound super easy! im going to have to try your method out! mine loooooves treats and this would be a fun way for him to earn them. thanks! Teaching "Roll Over" 335895

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 12/9/2009, 10:22 pm

Otto never wanted to learn "roll over", even though he was very good with everything else I tried to teach him.

Then, I noticed he never rolls over naturally, never sleeps on his back with his legs up.......he also has some back issues due to some vertebrae stenosis. Our vet recommended minimizing jumping, jarring, twisting actions because of this. I started to wonder if Otto's disinclination of rolling over was related to the vertebrae problem. I don't know for sure, but I'm not pushing him to learning this trick for fear it could be uncomfortable for him because of the back issue.

Does anyone else have pugs with back problems and have you found that they don't tend to roll over? I'm curious to see if there's a connection.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 12/10/2009, 10:22 am

As sweet and submissive as Pugsly and Taz were, they would never go on their backs. Now, Tinker and Ruffy spend half the day on their backs. When we approach them, they just fall to the ground and roll over so it is possible that I could get them to do this on command. We believe that neither of them have bones in their body because you should see the positions they get themselves in
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 12/10/2009, 11:06 am

Jessie used to roll over. She'd do it with the command "Bang" (and a finger pointed like a gun). Sick, I know, but funny! Especially funny when she'd start looking around with one eye to see if I was ready to give her the treat...

Then one day she refused to do it, and hasn't done it since! I suspect it has something to do with the other pugs in the house - she doesn't want to exposer her belly to them (even though she's the most submissive of the bunch!).

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 12/10/2009, 11:40 am

That is how we did it too - sometimes I would give the little push and move a treat around at the same time. Ruby may be a bad behaved dog, but she is a quick learner of tricks.
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 12/10/2009, 11:52 am

I have never been able to get any of my three to roll over-they can do sit, stay, high five-but they turn to stone when I try roll over. I might try it again though, this way. Teaching "Roll Over" Icon_biggrin
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/10/2009, 6:21 pm

I've never taught this trick as I'm petrified of torsion. Probably not an issue with pugs, but it is hard wired in me from my dalmatian and great dane days to not teach it. Plus, my guys would never bother. Lie on their backs, yes (at least Tank will), but roll over on command.....not so much
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/9/2010, 9:01 pm

I know that it was probably a bad thing to do but with our very first pug Bubba, We got him to do all his tricks by breaking a super large slim jim into tiny pieces. The dogs we have now get actual dog beef sticks but Bubba was our first pug and spoiled ROTTEN. He learned fast for some reason too.............

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down