Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buffy

+3
HK Pugs
GingerSnap
Miss Pugg
7 posters

Go down

Buffy Empty Buffy

Post  Miss Pugg 1/28/2011, 9:08 pm

Buffy is very old, not certain as to her true age, but the vets put it at 17. She is one eyed and has congestive heart failure along with kidney disease. She came to me 8 years ago and has been a wonderful pal/companion. Today she is acting depressed and didn't want to eat her Science Diet Kibble. However, she did enjoy some baked chicken and scalloped potatoes *G*. After scarfing that down, she's seemed to have gotten more energy. Until this morning, she was faithful to eat every tiny kibble but it took her forever to choke it down. I give the kibble to her as a treat and as soon as she got it in her mouth, she spit it out. I gave her other little treats and she enjoyed that. I'm really not going to be too harsh with her eating that awful Science Diet food. At her age, she's going to get some treats once in a while, even tho my vet told me to keep her on SD only. I'm wondering what tomorrow will bring. She's also tried to stop peeing outside on the ice/snow but after my wonderful DH cleared a path for her, she bounced out, fell down a few times, did her long pee and ambled back in. I probably had her out twice as much as I normally do as she takes medicine to make her go but she has a bladder the size of New York.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Buffy Empty Re: Buffy

Post  GingerSnap 1/28/2011, 11:27 pm

Give Buffy a gentle hug from me!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  HK Pugs 1/29/2011, 12:09 am

I believe the dear girl deserves a treat or two. I remember my Percy at that age
and he became a stubborn old man and only ate what he chose and I think I will
follow in his paw prints. Hugs to Buffy, there is nothing more precious than a
senior pug.
hug dog
HK Pugs
HK Pugs

Number of posts : 1550

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/29/2011, 2:59 am

Dear, sweet Buffy. I hope she can surprise you (in a good way) like the precious oldsters sometimes do. Sending her a gentle hug. hug dog
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 1/29/2011, 10:21 am

Wow 17 years is amazing. I've never had a dog live that long. Wishing the best for her.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 1/29/2011, 11:09 am

I am sure she deserves to eat anything she darn well pleases. Mine are partial to chicken and rice (if one is feeling poorly they all benefit). I have to agree - when I am 17 in dog years I plan to eat lots of chocolate and french fries.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Buffy Empty Buffy

Post  Miss Pugg 1/29/2011, 8:45 pm

My vet is closed Sat. and Sun. so no help there. Buffy eats much better when she can have food she likes (like mac/cheese mixed in with her KD) and a bit of Jasmine's Solid Gold canned. She absolutely refuses to eat her KD kibble plain or the canned. Do you think I am hurting her kidney problem by catering to her & not making her eat the KD? I'm no fan of Science Diet but I also don't want to hurt her kidneys. Oh yes, she's telling me she doesn't need to go outside for bathroom duties more than 3 times a day......This when she is taking 4 pills for her congestive heart failure and kidney problems. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. I could tell she was hungry tonight by the way she tore into the mac/cheese on top of her SD kibble (I soak it now in hot water before serving - she told me she likes it that way, not that tasteless old dry kibble).
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/29/2011, 11:42 pm

My gut would say it's better to have SOME nutrition better than NO nutrition. the fact that she will eat something is encouraging. Can you phone an ER vet anywhere to get some advice? I hope you precious girl is okay....
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 1/30/2011, 12:51 am

a friend of mine has an aging pug who "suddenly" went off her food... seems she had back pain and leaning down to the bowl was uncomfortable... She would eat off a paper towel on the arm of the sofa... or from her mommas hand... now eats out of an elevated bowl.

ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 1/30/2011, 12:01 pm

I'm of the opinion that your girl is very old and should enjoy the life she has left. Obviously the prescription foods are supposed to help that by keeping her healthy, BUT if she's not eating, she's not enjoying anything. I say get some nutrition into her, even if it's not the best. I know you love your girl-- I want the two of you to have as much more time together as possible, but I wish even more for the two of you to have enjoyable time together.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Buffy Empty Buffy

Post  Miss Pugg 1/30/2011, 12:33 pm

Thanks to you all for your kind replies. We are in a holding pattern for Buffy now. I mixed her KD kibble with KD canned and some good canned dog food, put a bit of Jasmine's pumpkin on it. Lo and behold, she picked out all the good stuff and spit out the rest! She may be old but she's not dumb. I made sure all her pills were in the good stuff so she got them down. She's never, ever refused food before but she sure doesn't like the KD - at all.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down