Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long do I wait?

+9
Newsie96
TNPUGMOMOF3
Pugsaunt
MommaJones
leslyeb
TxAllieGrl
northernwitch
Sara
dieselsmom
13 posters

Go down

How long do I wait? Empty How long do I wait?

Post  dieselsmom 6/25/2009, 8:43 pm

I posted the other day that Kayla got bull dozed by Diesel and I think messed up her hip/knee/leg - one or more of those - on her good side (the left). I've had her on aspirin since then. She first was on three legs right after it happened. But since that first night, she's walked on all four legs, but she gimps so much more than she did before (she has a typical gimp because her right hip/knee is messed up). Every once in a while, I catch her dragging that foot when she walks. She's not in pain, not walking on three legs - just a much more pronounced gimp than usual and occasional foot dragging.

So my question is this - how long do I let her go like this before I take her to the vet? This happened Monday night. I started her on aspirin right away Monday night and have been giving 1 aspirin every morning since then. I really haven't seen any improvement in her. I don't know what exactly she injured/tweaked and don't even know if it's worth a trip to the vet because I'm not sure there's anything they can do for her (depending on the injury of course). But I don't want her to continue walking/stressing the injury and possibly making it worse.

Any suggestions? I was thinking if she's still messed up when I get paid on Tuesday, I'll take her in. (Again, she's not in any obvious pain, otherwise I wouldn't be waiting at all to take her in.) Would you wait until then or take her in sooner? Or not take her in at all?
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

How long do I wait? Empty Re: How long do I wait?

Post  Sara 6/25/2009, 8:56 pm

I have a 3 day rule for that type of injury before I take them in, so I'd consider taking her in soon.

Maybe the vet an give her some Metacam or something to give her more relief and is she currently on "bed rest".
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/25/2009, 9:20 pm

I'd take her in ASAP. Could be a torn cruciate, could be hips, could be knees. If she's dragging the foot/leg, that's not a good sign.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 6/25/2009, 9:27 pm

F-ing internet. I had my response all typed out and then internet connection went down and I lost the entire thing. Ugh!!!

Anyway, I swear Makayla must have known I'm wondering what to do because after I posted this thread, she had the most pronounced gimp I've seen yet. Kid you not - very pronounced. Guess that's the sign I needed. I'll call the vet first thing tomorrow morning and get her in to the vet yet tomorrow.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/25/2009, 9:38 pm

Rachel - I'm glad you're getting her into the vet. Keep us posted!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 6/25/2009, 9:39 pm

Rachel,

Mine have always pulled stunts on me where they limp until after the doctor has examined them so we have to pay then start walking fine. However, I would rather be safe then sorry. I hope it is just a little pulled muscle and nothing serious
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 6/25/2009, 9:42 pm

leslyeb wrote:Rachel,

Mine have always pulled stunts on me where they limp until after the doctor has examined them so we have to pay then start walking fine. However, I would rather be safe then sorry. I hope it is just a little pulled muscle and nothing serious

Isn't that the truth, Leslye!! After all these years, I've learned to not freak out and rush them to the vet right away if it's something that may improve with rest. But I've never had one who's not improved with rest and aspirin. That's why I wasn't sure how long I should continue to wait. I still won't be surprised if there's nothing wrong and she walks perfectly normal when we leave the vet!!!!

I'll keep you all posted and let you know what happens at the vet tomorrow.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 6/25/2009, 10:04 pm

I hope the vet finds that it's a minor issue. Sometimes it would be nice if these pugs could just talk to us!
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/25/2009, 10:08 pm

Rachel, I'm glad you're taking her in. Penny started the tripod walk a few weeks ago, favoring her right front paw. She won't let me near her feet, so I took her in. She was walking normally by the time we got to the vet (of course!), and it turned out that she had quite the little abcess under her pad. 2 weeks of antibiotics later, she's fine. The vet reminded me that dogs will try to avoid showing pain or weakness - an old pack behavior so the don't get turned on by the rest of the pack. I guess pugs are dogs, so that makes sense (although Penny will deny that she's a dog - she's a pug!).
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/26/2009, 3:07 am

I am glad you are taking her in too, won't you know she will act perfectly fine at the vet, but of course if she makes a super fast recovery that would be great too. Keep us posted!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 6/26/2009, 10:05 am

I will be thinking about "sister" and I hope she is ok. Lola often gimps for a little while, but like you said with the aspirin and rest she usually improves.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 6/26/2009, 12:06 pm

Looking for updates on Miss Kayla. How is she doing?
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 6/26/2009, 1:41 pm

No update. She's still gimping like mad today. I can't get to the vet today (please don't judge me as a bad mom, but I'm so slammed at work and can't get out today - it's a minimum of 3 hours for a vet visit - leave work and drive 40 minutes home to pick her up, drive 30 minutes to vet, have vet visit, drive 30 minutes back home to drop her off, drive 40 minutes back to work) and they have no appointments late enough so I can just leave work early. So first thing tomorrow, we have an appointment at 8:30. I'll keep you guys posted.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 6/26/2009, 2:32 pm

We'll be on pins and needles, Rachel!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 6/26/2009, 2:34 pm

thinking of you guys. hoping for a good update soon.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/26/2009, 2:51 pm

Good thoughts and Penny's Healing Pug Energy coming to you from the beautiful Marina.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 6/26/2009, 3:31 pm

Oh stop... Life happens she will be ok and who knows she might make a full recovery if you tell her she is going to the vet in the morning...
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 6/27/2009, 8:31 am

Good Luck at the Vet!
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 6/29/2009, 9:09 am

Sorry for no update all weekend - my internet is down at home.

Anyway, Kayla has a slight tear in her ACL. She's on bed rest and pain meds for a week. If no improvement after the week, they'll give her a sedative, do a more thorough exam and possibly xrays. He's just hoping a week of bed rest will heal it and we'll be past this hurdle. So if you could spare some good thoughts, we'd appreciate it.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 6/29/2009, 9:13 am

Poor baby. Lots of good thoughts coming from her friends in Tennessee.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/29/2009, 9:50 am

poor thing! Hopefully the bed rest will do the trick. I'm sure that'll be *fun* to enforce...

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 6/29/2009, 10:03 am

Poor Kayla. Good luck with the bed rest.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/29/2009, 3:06 pm

Keeping a pug on bedrest is a lot like herding kittens. Good luck, and Penny sends Healing Pug Energy to Kayla.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down