Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MIL came by the house.

+2
TxAllieGrl
Stitch Chan
6 posters

Go down

MIL came by the house. Empty MIL came by the house.

Post  Stitch Chan 8/10/2011, 6:17 am

My mother in law came over today and stitch adores her, he was just going nuts! running around in circles, rolling over on his belly and doing the side to side slide. But after she left we noticed Stitch was limping and not putting any weight on his right hind leg? Its nothing serious, he doesn't seem to be in any pain, I can touch it and he doesn't get upset or uncomfortable.... So the question is should I take him to the vet tonight? or should I give it until tomorrow and see if he just pulled a muscle or something of that nature? As I said before this isn't an emergency, just wanna see if anyone else has experience with this?
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Number of posts : 275

Back to top Go down

MIL came by the house. Empty Re: MIL came by the house.

Post  Guest 8/10/2011, 6:46 am

I am one to race to the vet for every little thing but in this case I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he is not in pain, sounds like a pulled muscle from getting overly excited. If it does not get better sooner than later than I would take him in or if he seems to be in pain.

I hope your MIL likes him as much as he likes her.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 8/10/2011, 6:52 am

Donna wrote:I am one to race to the vet for every little thing but in this case I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he is not in pain, sounds like a pulled muscle from getting overly excited. If it does not get better sooner than later than I would take him in or if he seems to be in pain.

I hope your MIL likes him as much as he likes her.

My MIL is one of the sweetest people I have ever met, She loves everything and everyone. She adores Stitch, she will literally sit on the floor for hours with him playing with him or scratching his belly, she does the same with lilo in limited quantity due to the fact that lilo is powered by space shuttle fuel, I swear to everything holy this dog doesn't sit still or get tired......ever.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Number of posts : 275

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 8/10/2011, 9:40 am

Do you know how to manipulate his knee to see if it's popping out of place? (luxating patella)

My gang has all had LP, and it's easy to feel the knee popping out if that's the case. Otherwise it could be a pulled muscle or something.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 8/10/2011, 10:29 am

I have had that happen a couple of times. I usually give it a day (after confining them so they don't keep moving around on it), and see if that helps. Often it's just a sprain. But, if they seem to be in any pain at all (shaking, hiding, etc) I take them in right away.

It wouldn't hurt, even if it goes away, to mention it to your vet the next time you are there. Like Allie said, it could be LP, or something that could reoccur.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 8/10/2011, 11:50 am

This just happened to Mac a couple weeks ago, I think he landed on it wrong jumping down from the couch. After 24 hours and some good rest he was much improved, so I think he just torqued it wrong.
I'd keep an eye on it, and if Stitch shows any sign of pain I'd get him in right away.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 8/10/2011, 1:31 pm

Sounds like a great MIL! I agree with the "wait and see" brigade but keep a VERY close eye on him. As Saira mentioned, if there is the slighest indication of pain, off to the vet a.s.a.p. Hope he's fine in the morning!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 8/10/2011, 2:03 pm

Saira wrote:I have had that happen a couple of times. I usually give it a day (after confining them so they don't keep moving around on it), and see if that helps. Often it's just a sprain. But, if they seem to be in any pain at all (shaking, hiding, etc) I take them in right away.

It wouldn't hurt, even if it goes away, to mention it to your vet the next time you are there. Like Allie said, it could be LP, or something that could reoccur.

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:This just happened to Mac a couple weeks ago, I think he landed on it wrong jumping down from the couch. After 24 hours and some good rest he was much improved, so I think he just torqued it wrong.
I'd keep an eye on it, and if Stitch shows any sign of pain I'd get him in right away.

You've gotten some good advice. It could be anything from a pulled muscle/sprain to luxating patella or a torn ACL (Bruno tore his ACL a few years ago). Anyway, time will tell. If it's not better in a day or so or if Stitch appears to be in pain (take to vet immediately) or refuses to bear weight on his leg after 24-48 hours, then it's time to go to the vet. Fingers crossed that he just overdid it a bit out of pure joy from seeing your MIL.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down