Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good thoughts for Stevie

+6
TxAllieGrl
lola's mom
Aussie Witch
Pugsaunt
akc0104
Amber
10 posters

Go down

Good thoughts for Stevie Empty Good thoughts for Stevie

Post  Amber 6/28/2009, 8:39 pm

I'm not sure if you all remember Stevie, the little blind pug I rescued from Craig's List who now belongs to my friend Lynette but this morning at 6:30am I got a text message from her that one of Stevie's eyes was full of blood and she was taking him to the Emergency Vet. They diagnosed it as a busted blood vessel in the eye and since he's already blind it probably occurred when he ran into something. Anyway, he is staying with us this week while Lynette volunteers at a camp for special needs children so of course she is worried sick about him while she is away. I'm taking him to his regular vet on Tuesday to have him rechecked so any good thoughts you could spare for Stevie would be much appreciated.

Also has anyone had experience with this? I know a lot of people have pugs that have lost eyes - is this how it starts? Just wondering what to expect on Tuesday.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Good thoughts for Stevie Empty Re: Good thoughts for Stevie

Post  akc0104 6/28/2009, 9:02 pm

Oh Stevie! hug dog Amber, I'm off work Wednesday and Friday if Stevie needs any help!
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 6/28/2009, 9:05 pm

Thanks Lisa! What vet do you all go to? Stevie's regular vet is Southern. I take all mine to Animal Medical Center in Murfreesboro.
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 6/28/2009, 11:02 pm

We go to Southern. Do you know which vet you're seeing?
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/29/2009, 12:04 am

Hugs to you and Stevie, Amber. From what I've seen, losing an eye doesn't seem to make a difference to the furkids. Let us know what the dogtor says.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/29/2009, 5:07 am

Hope all goes well for the little guy. hug dog
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 6/29/2009, 7:05 am

Aw poor little guy.
Give him a hug for me!
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/29/2009, 9:08 am

aww poor little Stevie! can't catch a break huh?

I don't know specifically, though I'm guessing if they can't stop the bleeding and relieve the pressure, they will probably want to take the eye out.

I'd bet they'll try some meds, etc. first though.

Hugs to Stevie (and Lynette when you see her!)

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 6/29/2009, 10:01 am

Awww, poor baby boy! I love him! He is the sweetest. I would guess that if there is pressure it would be causing pain and since he can't see at all anyway he'd be better off without it if it is hurting him.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 6/29/2009, 10:06 am

Yeah I'm also leaning towards them just taking it out if it's hurting him, it's not like it's of any use to him anyway. But I know Lynette will be worried sick if he has to go under anesthesia again - he just had his teeth cleaned and a few pulled a month or so ago.

Lisa - we are seeing Dr Duffy.
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 6/29/2009, 10:46 am

I do remember Stevie. He's a cutie!! I hope he can get fixed up quickly so he's comfortable. I'm sure you'll take very good care of him this week!
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 6/29/2009, 11:13 am

LOVE Dr Duffey!! I've known her since she started at the practice maybe 13 years ago. She's always my 2nd opinion if I see one of the other vets and need more reassurance. She helped me say goodbye to Schuyler last year and I've sat on her floor and cried many a time.

She'll take the time to answer any questions you want, I've even asked her "what have I forgotten to ask?" :o
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 6/29/2009, 1:03 pm

Amanda wrote:I do remember Stevie. He's a cutie!! I hope he can get fixed up quickly so he's comfortable. I'm sure you'll take very good care of him this week!

Oh yes, he'll be even more rotten by the time he leaves my house if that is possible...LOL!

akc0104 wrote:LOVE Dr Duffey!! I've known her since she started at the practice maybe 13 years ago. She's always my 2nd opinion if I see one of the other vets and need more reassurance. She helped me say goodbye to Schuyler last year and I've sat on her floor and cried many a time.

She'll take the time to answer any questions you want, I've even asked her "what have I forgotten to ask?" :o

Well that's good. I know Lynette asked specifically for an appointment with her so she must know Stevie's history. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 6/29/2009, 1:20 pm

Tell her I know it's hard not to worry, but Emmitt just had his neuter and then his leg surgery within a month of each other and he did great!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 6/30/2009, 7:49 pm

Alright we just got back from the vet. The pressure in the eye with the bleed is higher than it was on Sunday when Lynette took him to the ER vet so we are being sent to the Optho in the morning. They expect the diagnosis to be glaucoma as the cause of the bleed.

Question - is this something you would treat or would you elect to remove the eye since it is of no use to him whatsoever anyway? I know Lynette is weighing the options and I'm sure she'd like to hear your input.
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/30/2009, 8:36 pm

I think the treatment for glaucoma is eye drops to try to relieve the pressure. If those don't work..then removing the eye.

IMO, since he can't see anyway, I'd take the eye out to make sure he isn't in any pain, and you don't have to futz with eye drops.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/30/2009, 9:32 pm

Yup, the treatment for glaucoma would be drops, but if he's blind anyway, I'd just go for the eye removal. He probably won't even notice it's gone. He does deserve to be spoiled rotten after this.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 6/30/2009, 9:39 pm

How old is Stevie? I'd be leaning towards removal too.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 6/30/2009, 10:19 pm

Sammy's case was a little different because he had a non-healing injury in his blind eye that was causing him pain. It's unclear if Stevie's in pain or not. If he is, or just isn't acting himself, I'd go for the enucleation. Sammy reportedly did much better after his.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 6/30/2009, 10:22 pm

No experience to share, but I remember Stevie. What a total doll face. Sounds like he's getting great care and will keep the good vibes coming his way.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 6/30/2009, 10:59 pm

Stevie is estimated to be 9 or 10 years old. It doesn't really seem to bother him until it's time to put the ointment in that the ER vet prescribed. He doesn't like that at all. Plus I'm now a nervous wreck about him running into things b/c I'm afraid his eye will burst. Of course he doesn't seem to mind me carrying him around everywhere, LOL! Where is the "wrapped around his little paw" smiley??
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down