Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish oil and glucosamine ?

+5
Renee
ayleash
northernwitch
SacramentoPugs
thminis
9 posters

Go down

Fish oil and glucosamine ? Empty Fish oil and glucosamine ?

Post  Guest 11/17/2011, 6:43 pm

Someone mentioned that there is a pump bottle on Amazon but for the life of me I can't find it!

and any recommendations on brands of glucosamine, I'm going to start Viv on it, she is getting a bit older now and I hope I can help her, not that she is having any problems but it can't hurt.

Back to top Go down

Fish oil and glucosamine ? Empty Re: Fish oil and glucosamine ?

Post  thminis 11/17/2011, 7:08 pm

I have Reggie on both fish oil and glucosamine since July. The glucosamine is because he is middle aged and has been overweight up until recently. I buy the GNC Pets brand from Petsmart because it's one of the few (possibly only) one I can find without chicken or beef flavoring (allergies). Regardless of what kind you go with, you want to look for a supplement that has glucosamine and chondrotin together (to my knowledge).

As for the fish oil, I recently got a big bottle from Costco for Reg. It makes him smell a little fishier than the kind I had gotten from Petsmart, but it's much cheaper. Also, ask your vet (or a vet who knows about fish oil) for the dosaging. Reggie gets 2 or 3 times what the dog bottles recommend, but I can't remember the dosage off of the top of my head. Keep with it and you'll have to tell us if you see good results in a couple of months. I swear it is reduced Reggie's shedding to virtually nothing (plus I brush him a lot, but the difference is absolutely unbelievable).

Oh, also, I've found that Reggie really, really dislikes the taste of fish if it's too strong or a stand alone flavor, so the liquid kind was a no go for us. I don't even open the gel capsules ( I did once and got it all over my shirt - gross). I just mix them in with a little pumpkin or wet food and he takes them fairly easy.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 11/17/2011, 7:22 pm

Before I switched to just coconut oil, we used the fish oil in a pump bottle (super convenient!). Donna, search for Grizzly Salmon Oil.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/17/2011, 7:25 pm

I use Nobel Herring Oil as Tank is allergic to salmon. For the glucosamine, I use Sasha's Blend. Minimal ingredients and no chicken or beef flavouring:

http://www.sashasblend.com.au/cb_pages/sashas_blend.php
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 11/17/2011, 8:10 pm

I found the pumps messy... and smelly.. so I went with omega capsules... which I got from "entirely pets"

6 three-packs (remember, I was doing for 4 dogs) came to $95 - and lasted me about a year (one a day per dog) - or maybe I was doing 3 a week per dog for a while.

(we don't do the condroitin ... or glucosamine... yet...)
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 11/17/2011, 9:33 pm

I just buy the glucosamine / chondroiten supplements from Costco. They are for humans, but they are the same thing. One pill a day, in their food. My pugs eat so freaking fast they don't even know the pill is in there.

As for fish oil, I did like Ayleash. I used the capsules. Again, I went with the human version, and just did one pill a day.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 11/17/2011, 10:44 pm

I too get human fish oil and glucosamine/chondroitin supplements from Walmart or Costco. Pugs get one fish oil pill dropped into their yogurt in top of their food in the morning. I don't open it, just the whole pill. They get the glucosamine at night wrapped in turkey. Whole pill. All of them get it and have for years.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/18/2011, 7:17 am

I am currently doing the whole pill for the fish oil but I cut it in half, to paranoid they will choke on it. It makes a mess when I do it that way that's why I wanted the squirt bottle.

We have a BJ's here no Costco, basically the same thing, I'll check there for the glucosamine. Didn't know if it had to be a special one or the human one was ok.

Viv is middle aged now and the groomer said her joints were a bit stiff when she bathed her yesterday.

Edited to say, I did a quick search on Amazon and can't find the pump bottle of fish oil? where are you all getting it from?

Back to top Go down

Post  lisamak 11/18/2011, 10:24 am

I use the Alaska Naturals brand of salmon oil in a pump (I always use salmon oil not 'fish oil' in case the blend contains cod liver oil). Its available at Amazon and a dozen or so other sites (possibly cheaper). No odor and no mess.

For a glucosamine supplement we use the ENP Glucosamine Plus liquid or Green Dog Naturals [Rainbow Light] Healthy Motion (chewable tablet or powder). The ENP is one of the strongest I've found out there and though 2 are on it preventatively, for Vince who's nearly 14 its what keeps him going without pain or discomfort (he's not on pain meds for his arthritis, this supplement keeps everything loose and limber as its gonna be on a 14 yr old).
lisamak
lisamak

Number of posts : 160

http://www.mydogcatering.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 11/18/2011, 11:09 am

Donna wrote:I am currently doing the whole pill for the fish oil but I cut it in half, to paranoid they will choke on it. It makes a mess when I do it that way that's why I wanted the squirt bottle.

for a few days i pierced the capsules and squirted them for the dogs... but that was as messy as the pump for me - don't know why I am a messy pumper!

Fish oil and glucosamine ? 27965 we WUV our Vivvy and want her limber as young timber!
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 11/18/2011, 12:13 pm

Omega 3 fatty acids are very sensitive to air, heat, etc. and degrade easily. We used to use Grizzly Salmon Oil in the pump bottle until I found this out. Now we use these capsules. Here is more info. on dosages, etc.:

http://www.dogaware.com/diet/supplements.html#fishoil

For glucosamine we use Drs. Foster & Smith Level 2 Joint Care once per day. It has glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM and is one of the few that I could find that doesn't have any artifical flavorings, etc. We use the tablets. I just crush them up in a pill crusher and mix it in with their food.

http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html#glucosamine
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 11/18/2011, 1:26 pm

Brenda, I forgot about dogaware! Awesome site!!

I never used the pump, and my pugs eat so fast, they never even find the pills in their food.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/18/2011, 7:52 pm

Thanks for the wealth of info, I iwll be doing some online shopping this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/19/2011, 5:07 pm

Penny is going back on salmon oil once this episode is over. She has been on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM for some time - we get the caps at Whole Foods, and I open and sprinkle it on her food.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down