Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will fish oil help with scaly noses

+2
northernwitch
ownedbymypugs
6 posters

Go down

Will fish oil help with scaly noses Empty Will fish oil help with scaly noses

Post  ownedbymypugs 11/18/2009, 10:43 pm

Phoebe never gets the "crusties" on her nose, but Spirit constantly has a problem with it. Spirit's coat isn't dry; just her nose. . . . .I clean it regularly, but she still gets the "scaly nose". Would giving fish oil help with it?
ownedbymypugs
ownedbymypugs

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Will fish oil help with scaly noses Empty Re: Will fish oil help with scaly noses

Post  northernwitch 11/18/2009, 10:56 pm

Christine:
I use Bag Balm on crusty noses or open a caplet of vitamin E and put it directly onto the nose. In a pinch, I've also used Burt's Bees--whatever I have on hand. I don't know that a food supplement helps that much. I find direct application is the most efficient.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Will fish oil help with scaly noses Empty Re: Will fish oil help with scaly noses

Post  ownedbymypugs 11/18/2009, 11:05 pm

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

How do you keep your pooches from licking off the lotion/ointment? That's the big problem I have had with trying to get the lotion or the like on Spirit's nose is that as soon as I am done, she immediately starts licking it off and then I am afraid it will make her sick. . . .

Is that any "uber moisturizing but tastes nasty" lotion?

Last edited by ownedbymypugs on 11/18/2009, 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Made a crucial punctuation error!)
ownedbymypugs
ownedbymypugs

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/19/2009, 8:34 am

ownedbymypugs wrote:Thanks so much for the quick reply!

How do you keep your pooches from licking off the lotion/ointment? That's the big problem I have had with trying to get the lotion or the like on Spirit's nose is that as soon as I am done, she immediately starts licking it off and then I am afraid it will make her sick. . . .

Is that any "uber moisturizing but tastes nasty" lotion?
LOL--yes, well, there's the problem. I find that my guys don't tend to lick off the bag balm as much. And I rub the Vit. E in pretty well before letting them go. If you do it daily for a couple of weeks, then reduce the number of applications to a 3/week, then 1/week, mine have all lost interest in licking it off and I have been able to get it down to only having to do it every two weeks or as needed.
The Vit E, Bag Balm and Burt's Bees won't make her sick--or shouldn't--it's never made any of mine sick and my guys are serious Burt's Bees addicts.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 11/19/2009, 8:43 am

You can also use vaseline or olive oil. I sometimes use carmex.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 11/19/2009, 10:01 am

I use a tiny bit of vaseline - Dre gets crusty nose if I don't apply it every day or two. The rest of them are fine, funny enough.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 11/19/2009, 11:06 am

sallyandtilly wrote:You can also use vaseline or olive oil. I sometimes use carmex.

Carmex! They won't lick that off in a hurry. Mine get frightly offended if they come to give me a kiss and I have just used Carmex. I think it must tingle their tongues.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  ownedbymypugs 11/19/2009, 12:38 pm

Carmex, bag balm, vaseline. . . . .great suggestions all. Thanks ladies!

I think I will try the carmex first, because I KNOW how nasty that tastes. I also will see whether the vet has any suggestions because today is Spirit's and Kayleigh's "Get our shots in our butts" day. Good times! Will fish oil help with scaly noses 702919 I doubt if he will give me any better suggestions than you all have though! Thanks again!
ownedbymypugs
ownedbymypugs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/19/2009, 7:07 pm

Bag balm works wonders! vaseline is also good as well *thumbs up!* Will fish oil help with scaly noses Icon_biggrin
boo to crusties! hehe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/19/2009, 7:59 pm

I put 100% shea butter on LuLu's nose. It's thick so after she had a few licks she gets tired of it and it adheres in as it melts with her body temperature. No problem about any ingestion problems- its a really natural safe oil that I also use in a mixture with grape seed oil on babies.

When she is asleep I put some on her foot pads too.

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeAnn 11/20/2009, 10:54 am

I use bag balm also on Spanky.Yep he licks it off but I try to rub it in the best he will let me.I do it a couple times a week and it does help.
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Number of posts : 991

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/26/2009, 12:21 am

oh my god i love bag balm when my lips are shapped in the winter i put it on before i go to bed and in the morning my lips are as soft as a baby bottom.....thats a good idea to keep in mind is honey ever gets a scaly nose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down