Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states!

+3
Aussie Witch
SacramentoPugs
Stitch Chan
7 posters

Go down

Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states! Empty Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states!

Post  Stitch Chan 2/24/2012, 8:40 am

In 7 weeks we will take on the great adventure! I have managed to get new information on travel out of Japan. By trade I work with pilots very closely (as I pack their parachutes, and survival equipment for them). We had one pilot who came in for some gear who flies with the Naval Aviation Logistics Operation (Military Supply and Commercial flights), he was telling me that he could get me on one of their out going flights that would stop in Hawaii and San Diego. The good news about this is that the flight goes back to the states empty! so me and my family would have all of coach to our selves that includes the pugs! They even said that if there wasn't anyone on the flight that was allergic to dogs that our puggers could be out of their carriers during the flight! Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states! 78340

My wife is ecstatic as she wants to spend a few nights in Hawaii and San Diego kinda like a mini Vacation before heading to Washington DC. This isn't completely for sure yet, but there is a very good possibility it will happen! Im in touch with their Command Master Chief trying to work out the dates.

Also an update for stitch and lilo, lilo's surgery went great, she is far more hyper now that she is healed up (Probably just has allot of build up energy!), Stitch on the other hand has two growths that we found, one on the inside of the back thigh, and one just below his chin, and of course being a responsible pug poppa I rush him down to the vet to have them looked at.
The vet says (I can't be for sure about this information), she said that these types of growths are common not just on pugs but on all dogs when they are young? She said they will be monitoring it weekly and if it does not decrease in size in two weeks that they are going to test it. Histiocytoma is what she believes it is. Anyone have any idea? Anyone experienced this before?
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Number of posts : 275

Back to top Go down

Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states! Empty Re: Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states!

Post  SacramentoPugs 2/24/2012, 2:13 pm

I recommend doing some research on Hawaii and their dog laws -- they used to be very, very strict about people bringing dogs into the state, even service dogs, and had a six-month quarantine. I don't know what their laws are today, or how you being military might affect things, but thought I'd give you a heads-up.

A large group of Guide Dog users sued the state of Hawaii over not being allowed to bring their dogs into the state for vacations without quarantine, and it was a long drawn-out process. As I said, I don't know where things stand today, but thought you should probably check into it. Very Happy
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states! Empty Re: Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states!

Post  Aussie Witch 2/24/2012, 2:16 pm

That's great news on getting them home! The problems we hear about transporting pugs internationally and you've managed the dream transportation! Couldn't be better - almost like flying them by private jet. Fantastic!

Yep, histiocytomas are absolutely nothing to worry about. Just close observation to ensure they do go away is all you need to do. If there is any dramatic growth or change, back to the vet.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 2/24/2012, 2:38 pm

SacramentoPugs wrote:I recommend doing some research on Hawaii and their dog laws -- they used to be very, very strict about people bringing dogs into the state, even service dogs, and had a six-month quarantine. I don't know what their laws are today, or how you being military might affect things, but thought I'd give you a heads-up.

I second researching Hawaii. Your wife might want to stay a few days, but your dogs won't be allowed. Shocked
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 2/24/2012, 6:17 pm

Excellent news on the transport! Last I heard, the Hawaii quarantine had been lowered to something more reasonable if the dogs had the three-year rabies vaccine and were microchipped. But I'd check it out for sure.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 2/24/2012, 10:27 pm

Transporting from Japan, Japan has been rabies free country since 1950's. I believe there are no quarantine laws for transportation from Japan to Hawaii.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/25/2012, 1:34 am

Chris, there are quite strict rules about bringing dogs in from other countries, even rabies-free ones. I have copied a link for you. You might be better off forgetting a stopover in Hawaii and going straight to the continental U.S. The requirements of getting dogs in from anywhere are nearly as strict as Australia and we're VERY tough. Here's some useful information on this link.

It's important to note that Japan is not listed amongst the handful of originating countries that MAY mean a pet is exempt from quarantine. This will mean there will be strict procedures to bringing dogs in from Japan, that must be followed and started not less than 120 days prior to departure, even though Japan is rabies-free. For dogs coming into Australia, these sorts of procedures must begin not less than 180 days prior to departure and if you get anything wrong it all starts again.

Exempt Areas
Animals entering Hawaii on direct flights from the British Isles, Australia, Guam and New Zealand may be exempt from quarantine if specific requirements are met. If you are planning to import animals from these areas, please refer to the information and "Checklist For Pets Arriving From British Isles, Australia, Guam And New Zealand" at: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info or contact the Animal Quarantine Station by e-mail or phone for instructions regarding pre-entry requirements. E-mail address: rabiesfree@hawaii.gov

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqsbrochure.pdf

Hate to give you bad news, but you've still got time to make enquiries with the right government agencies, get the ball rolling and not have any problems on arrival. You don't want Lilo and Stitch thrown in the quarantine brig for 120 days!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitch Chan 2/25/2012, 7:29 am

Let me first apologize for misinformation, this flight does not land at a civilian airport, we are landing at an Air Force base. Lilo and Stitch are on official military orders same as the rest of our family. The only thing they have to do is stay over night with the Air Force Boarding center. The next morning we are able to pick them up prior to our flight.
Stitch Chan
Stitch Chan

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 2/25/2012, 7:32 am

Good Luck Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states! 609723 Stitch and lilo's journey back to the states! 609723
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 2/25/2012, 1:08 pm

I'm absolutely tickled pink about the flight that you were able to arrange! I'd double check (and honestly, triple check!) that the military flight would exempt them from quarantine, but even that cuts an more extended Hawaii stay shorter than you'd like, it's still great that you'll be able to get your kids home with you!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down