Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP!! Temp Caring for a Young Black Male Not Neutered

+2
ayleash
PugMomto3
6 posters

Go down

HELP!! Temp Caring for a Young Black Male Not Neutered Empty HELP!! Temp Caring for a Young Black Male Not Neutered

Post  PugMomto3 7/16/2012, 7:20 am

I am temporarily caring for a young black not neutered male black pug. He is very well behaved other than both he and Herc (who is fixed and has been since he was 6 months old) trying to hump each other. Will this stop or go on until his people pick him up? He arrived yesterday, and it was horrific. Herc was so out of breathe from all the running and humping. I actually put him to bed at 7:30.

This little guy is absolutely adorable and a sweet baby, but the humping and butt licking and the "you know what" licking, is driving me nuts! Do I ignore them? My husband is in a panic becuase he thinks Hercules is in "respiratory distress" because of all the heavy breathing.

Any advice or tips?
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

HELP!! Temp Caring for a Young Black Male Not Neutered Empty Re: HELP!! Temp Caring for a Young Black Male Not Neutered

Post  ayleash 7/16/2012, 7:30 am

It's mostly about "pecking" order (sorry!)... so it might not decrease much if they are only together for a few days... separating, or supervising together time, might be the only way... and pre-empting the mounting by walking between the two of them to break the "spell"...

Consider yourself the referee for a few days!
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

HELP!! Temp Caring for a Young Black Male Not Neutered Empty Re: HELP!! Temp Caring for a Young Black Male Not Neutered

Post  PugMomto3 7/16/2012, 8:00 am

So I am not being mean if I put Hercules in his crate to get some rest and calm down?
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 7/16/2012, 11:37 am

PugMomto3 wrote:So I am not being mean if I put Hercules in his crate to get some rest and calm down?

Not mean at all. When your toddlers were young, did you let them have 24/7 playdates or did you expect them to have nap time? Same thing. Very Happy

Last edited by Puggered on 7/16/2012, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : letter went AWOL !!)
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom 7/16/2012, 11:44 am

Oh dear... The good ol rituals of heirarchy.

This usually happens every time we have a visitor but with poor ol Milo being the target. Not to bring him any pity though , he's just as guilty. Laughing

I agree about planning to be the referee. I get that job here and fall asleep still saying "no , stop it - leave him alone! - noooo". lol

Herc is doing his best to remind the young lad that he is the boss but apparently that statement is meeting with some contention. In protecting Herc and his breathing , I wouldn't let it "go on" persay but I'm sorry to say , it's probably going to be an issue for awhile.

I wouldn't say you were being mean to crate Herc since a "time out" may be the only way for him to actually rest. The other option would be a baby gate to seperate them or would that cause more distress than you already have as they couldn't get to each other.
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 7/16/2012, 12:07 pm

And that is why I never babysit a dog that isn't fixed... Ask them why?

Otherwise you've had great advice. hug dog
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/16/2012, 1:50 pm

Actually, I think this probably doesn't have diddly squat to do with hierarchy. It's probably as much about excitement, stress and "new smells" as in the testosterone, as it is about who is the Big Cheese.

I interrupt humping always. Don't care who does it to whom, I stop it. Most stop within a couple of days. I live full time with an intact male dog and he almost never humps anyone or anything. I'm going to post a really good article on humping in a separate thread.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down