Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aggression first time meeting

3 posters

Go down

Aggression first time meeting Empty Aggression first time meeting

Post  Mel 2/3/2013, 10:20 pm

So one of my coworkers invited me to her house for a SB party. She's got 2 little boy terriers. I was excited for Zoe to have a play date. Right when we walked in the door one of the boys started growling at her. His parents held him for a bit, but were cautious to let him go. Zoe just hid behind me. The boys ended up outside until we left at halftime.

I was a bit surprised as I thought only girls did this to other girls. I know you can't predict animal behavior, but do you think they would have done this if they met at the dog park and not on their territory?

I find myself at a loss in situations like this and would welcome any advice.
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Aggression first time meeting Empty Re: Aggression first time meeting

Post  northernwitch 2/3/2013, 11:49 pm

Without seeing it, it is hard to tell. Terriers can be growly. And it is hard to know what the growling meant without seeing the rest of the body language involved.

And any dog can growl at any other dog. It's not a gender thing. He may have been being a twit or just unsure. He may have reacted better to a meeting in the backyard rather than the house. I do most meetings in the yard because there is more room for everyone to find neutral corners if needed. And no one feels quite as constrained.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 2/4/2013, 12:00 am

Years ago I had a Kerry Blue Terrier. She had been the runt of her litter, and was pretty mellow, BUT her mother, father and sister would have pitched a fit at any other dog coming into their area. I've also known Bedlingtons and Scottish Terriers who were equally snarly with other dogs, regardless of sex.

Also, if there were a number of new people coming into the dogs' environment, they might have been more keyed up than usual. Glad it didn't escalate past growling!
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 2/4/2013, 12:22 am

Yeah, it was a SB party, small, but still. I thought that might have something to do with it. Oddly, there was another girl dog visiting and they knew her so they were fine. The girls were fine together too. The boys had to stay outside, which bothered one guest. He actually said the girls should have to go outside and let the boys back in. huh? silly people.
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down