Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time

+15
Erin
lindarpugma
Eph91
northernwitch
TNPUGMOMOF3
MommaJones
Pugsaunt
Not Afraid
smoochieface
Mel
MackandMattiesMom
TxAllieGrl
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
destanie101
Saira
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Empty Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time

Post  Saira 9/23/2009, 11:37 am

So I thought I'd ask you all and see if you have any ideas. Hooli has slowly gotten worse and worse with his nails. It's even hard for the vet to do it now. We use the dremel (mainly because his quicks are so long, we can avoid him bleeding) but he HATES it. Mild mannered Hooli turns into a biting, kicking, devil. Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Icon_twisted We have tried everything-since we had him as a puppy we always played with his feet, etc, but now it's a major struggle. We have also tried the do it slow, giving a treat to sniff the dremel, and work our way up, but it never works, and we can't go a month or two without trimming them. Any ideas? It stresses us all out!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Empty Re: Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time

Post  destanie101 9/23/2009, 11:41 am

Franklin is the same way and I got REALLY tired of bleeding myself, so about every 2-3 weeks I cart his butt off to the vet. for $12 I get nails trimmed and glands expressed. ...I don't bleed, I don't get 'squirted' and Franklin doesn't hate me.
destanie101
destanie101

Number of posts : 303

https://www.facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Empty Re: Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 9/23/2009, 11:43 am

Oh boy I hope someone has some suggestions for you because Tyson is the same way. I did use lavender recently to try to calm him, he was pretty good with his front feet but his back feet were a struggle. This last time the lavender had no effect.
Jeff usually ends up putting him in some sort of headlock maneuver (not hurting him of course) while I quickly dremel. Still very stressful and someone often sheds blood-mostly me from the dremel nicking my finger, or Jeff from Tyson scratching at him.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/23/2009, 11:56 am

No advice here either. All of my gang hates nail trims.

I get my petsitter to do Angel's, so I don't have to take her anywhere (she doesn't travel well). It takes 2 people, and we had to hold her down.

The other three get theirs done by the vet or PetSmart when we go. It's always miserable.

I hate torturing them, but I hate getting gouged by their nails even more. So torture it is...

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/23/2009, 12:06 pm

Well I am glad I am not that only one that has to hold them down, I felt terrible doing that. But it has to be done!

Sophie is the funniest-she starts screaming when she sees the dremel, but I think it's from excitement because she actually doesn't mind her nails trimmed too much. Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Icon_rolleyes
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 9/23/2009, 12:28 pm

I have a woman come and do Mack and Mattie's nails. She has this cool little contraption that works wonders to keep pugs still ...

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Nailth11

No idea what it's called, but might be a good investment for multiple pugs that hate their nails done.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/23/2009, 2:02 pm

that poor BT looks so sad!!!!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 9/23/2009, 2:06 pm

that's some contraption! I like it better than the sling they use at Petsmart. I'm always afraid Zoe will jump off the table and hurt herself. Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Icon_cry I now take her to the vet and they take her into the back. they say she's ok, but who knows. she used to squirm alot, but that might be because I was there.

that sucks you're having issues with Hooli. wish I could help!
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 9/23/2009, 2:08 pm

Our vet still manages to trim the boys' nails so we go that route for their 3-4 baths a year. Bruno is the worst. In between vet visits we pretty much chicken out and take the boys on super long walks on cement. That is surprisingly effective in "sanding" down their nails.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/23/2009, 2:13 pm

smoochieface wrote:Our vet still manages to trim the boys' nails so we go that route for their 3-4 baths a year. Bruno is the worst. In between vet visits we pretty much chicken out and take the boys on super long walks on cement. That is surprisingly effective in "sanding" down their nails.

Yeah I was thinking that might have to be my next move, now that it's cooling down here. Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Icon_biggrin
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/23/2009, 3:30 pm

MackandMattiesMom wrote:I have a woman come and do Mack and Mattie's nails. She has this cool little contraption that works wonders to keep pugs still ...

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Nailth11

No idea what it's called, but might be a good investment for multiple pugs that hate their nails done.

Cool contraption! But, can she lose the Mickey Mouse Ears Hat? Very Happy
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/23/2009, 4:45 pm

No help here. Penny turns into a screaming fighting little monster when anyone tries to trim her nails with a blade. I take her to the groomer, who uses a dremel, and she told me that Penny just sits there and holds her paw out. Go figure.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  destanie101 9/23/2009, 4:51 pm

yea, at home Franklin is a demon, but at Dr. Waite's he's just sits as pretty as a picture and lets the dogtor do whatever. Its annoying and makes me look like a complete fool. I think its the liver treats.
destanie101
destanie101

Number of posts : 303

https://www.facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 9/23/2009, 5:25 pm

Well, Toby is my nightmare when trimming nails. I won't go into the long, gory processes we've endured. I'll just tell you what works for us right now. I use the Dremmel. But I put the soft e-collar on Toby. He doesn't try to bite as much, and when he does snap, he collar protects me. I also have to have Freddy Jones outside. If he's in the house, he comes over and barks and drives us both crazy.

This is the e-collar I have:
Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time 300
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/23/2009, 5:26 pm

MommaJones wrote:Well, Toby is my nightmare when trimming nails. I won't go into the long, gory processes we've endured. I'll just tell you what works for us right now. I use the Dremmel. But I put the soft e-collar on Toby. He doesn't try to bite as much, and when he does snap, he collar protects me. I also have to have Freddy Jones outside. If he's in the house, he comes over and barks and drives us both crazy.

This is the e-collar I have:
Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time 300

Oh Christy, that is genius! Thank you, I am going to try that-Hooli I think is better if he doesn't SEE what is going on, his back feet are a little better than his front. I am going to petsmart and try this tonight.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 9/23/2009, 5:58 pm

I know that the groomer and the vet have no trouble if I am not there..
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/23/2009, 6:08 pm

E collars are great for doing nails. I use them for Lola or I blindfold her. I'm really lucky as I can do everyone's nails. I haven't tried the shih tzu yet so he might be my waterloo.

And the screaming before the nail is even touched that Sophie does? EVERY single black girl I've had has done that. Talk about drama queens.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/23/2009, 6:56 pm

That soft e-collar is a good idea! My guys do MUCH better w/ their back nails b/c they can't see. And I use the dremel, too. I'm sorry I don't have any advice. The dremel has made it easier, but not great. It is better if I do one while the other is outside--when one watches the other, he (the watcher) gets upset, too!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 9/23/2009, 7:03 pm

Man o man, I feel your pain lol. All of mine fight like crazy. I used to take them to the vet and I held them while the vet tech cut their nails and I still had to pay $10 each. That's $50 a month and after I retired I decide that Pete could get a death grip on them and that's what we do. He holds them under their neck and under their tail and around their shoulders. He has to wear a long sleeve coat and we pad his left upper arm because Zoe will bite him every time. You would think they are being killed but the funny part is they all wag their tail the whole time.

It takes us about 20 minutes to do all 5. It sure is a work out.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 9/23/2009, 7:55 pm

Saira wrote:

Oh Christy, that is genius! Thank you, I am going to try that-Hooli I think is better if he doesn't SEE what is going on, his back feet are a little better than his front. I am going to petsmart and try this tonight.
Genius...I like the sound of that! LOL! I'm pretty sure I got the idea from someone else. I don't think I'm smart enough to come up with it on my own. I hope it works out for you. It has really helped my struggle with Toby.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin 9/23/2009, 9:52 pm

Wow, there are some horror stories, I think this will piss some of you off, I am able to trim all three (yes including the bad BT) in 20 minutes and I do the nails every Saturday.
I am very lucky with George, I set out the blankets on the floor, he sees the dremel and then goes over and sits and waits for me. I sit with them on my lap with them cradled. this is strange but George is either for relaxed or weird but the lipstick has come out on several occasions.
Now for Mavis, she puts up a fight, and before I used the dremel, I would take her in to clip her nails, she would put up such a fight and get so worked up it was not worth it.
Knuckles is the worst of the three and requires to be wrapped in a blanket with only one paw exposed that I am working on, then I switch, I do the fronts, then when it comes time for the backs they are laying down across my lap on their back.
It works very well for the fighters.
I hope that made sense, I think might have a picture of George getting his nails done so you can see how I hold them.
Erin
Erin

Number of posts : 697

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/23/2009, 10:02 pm

Erin:
Totally off topic, but my first boyfriend was a boy named Hiram Knuckles. I know, I know--could there be a more rural Kentucky name (his best friend was Joe Yokum). Everytime I read about the BT named Knuckles I think of Hi Knuckles. We broke up when I made him cry by stealing his shoe and running off and he couldn't catch me--we were in 7th grade.
A little trip down memory lane courtesy of the Boston Terrier.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin 9/23/2009, 10:13 pm

Well Blanche if it helps we sometime call Knuckles ... well we use an F instead of the K ..

You ran off with his shoe ... a token perhaps, a momento to remind you of him, oh young love...lol

And I have tried posting photos but cannot figure it out, Saira, I can post on facebook if you want to see how I hold the dogs.
Erin
Erin

Number of posts : 697

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 9/24/2009, 10:22 am

We use the dremel mostly, but sometimes I'll break out the clippers if the boys nails are a little too long. Maybe it's just me, but their nails seem to grow way faster than any of my girls. Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Icon_scratch I use the same method as Erin to hold them - I basically cradle them kinda like a baby in my lap. Pugsy will doze off while I do hers (although, she's 15-16 years old. It doesn't take much for her to doze off! Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Icon_lol ). Yoda is the only one who still struggles but at least she doesn't try to bite me anymore now that she's gotten used to the dremel. I do like that soft e-collar idea, though! I just saw one of those at Petco last week.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/24/2009, 3:40 pm

Well I bought a soft collar and will be trying it out on Hooli tonight. I will be sure to take pics of his humiliation. I am sure you can all guess what his expression will be. Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time Icon_lol
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next