Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time

+15
Erin
lindarpugma
Eph91
northernwitch
TNPUGMOMOF3
MommaJones
Pugsaunt
Not Afraid
smoochieface
Mel
MackandMattiesMom
TxAllieGrl
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
destanie101
Saira
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time - Page 2 Empty Re: Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time

Post  Erin 9/24/2009, 5:37 pm

Good luck Saira !
Erin
Erin

Number of posts : 697

Back to top Go down

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time - Page 2 Empty Re: Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time

Post  Pugsaunt 9/24/2009, 8:17 pm

Can't wait to see a Hooli stink eye. ashamed
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin 9/25/2009, 11:18 am

How did it go last night Saira ?
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/25/2009, 11:38 am

Erin wrote:How did it go last night Saira ?

Still not good! It's mostly his struggling since he is so strong, we just can't get a handle on him, I tried the towel too. We are going to take him into the vet's next week to see if they can give him a mild sedative and cut them, and then start from round one again, and do the paw touch-treat routine. Although we've done it, and he is fine up until the actual dremel touching his paw! He is a boogerhead! Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time - Page 2 Icon_biggrin We are also going to walk him on concrete now that it's getting cooler in the evenings. Heck, I am ready to lay sandpaper down on our floor...sheesh!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin 9/25/2009, 11:51 am

Sorry to hear it was such a struggle. I never would have thought Hooli to be one to put up such a stink, he looks so laid back.
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/25/2009, 11:56 am

Erin wrote:Sorry to hear it was such a struggle. I never would have thought Hooli to be one to put up such a stink, he looks so laid back.

LoL that is what is so frustrating. He is the most laid back dog ever, EXCEPT when it comes to his nails. Even other grooming stuff, he is great at-he comes running for his eye drops, he loves a bath, he loves getting his wrinkles cleaned. It's just nail cutting! It's like he saves up ALL his energy for fighting us with his nails. Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time - Page 2 Icon_eek
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/25/2009, 12:09 pm

Poor Hooli! He just wants to be dragon lady with long painted nails. You KNOW he does.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadie 9/25/2009, 2:13 pm

Ya know, Nala was a terror like that. I could hear her screaming at the vets too. Then I got my DH to hold her on his lap, with the feet out and he held a pupperoni stick real tight in his fingers, allowing her to work on getting it but not quite and you still had lots of the stick if she did get a bite. She was so absorbed in getting that treat, that I managed to cut nails (not a dremel. too much noise) and she didn't know what hit her! It was a great relief for us all.

Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time - Page 2 Icon_wink

Sadie, around & about with Sophie & Susy settling down with the new girl and Fia, the new girl, figuring out the ropes slowly
Sadie
Sadie

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 10/19/2009, 12:11 am

When I was at pugapalooza in July, they had booths set up with different services. I actually took a picture of one woman who was filing a pug's nails. She had one of those kid carriers and the pug was just chilling in this thing and couldn't move. Here it is:

[img]Hooligan turns into a holy terror at nail trimming time - Page 2 Mixandmatch033[/img]
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 10/19/2009, 12:30 am

Not seeing helps.

LuLu is great with her nails if I lay her on her back. If she's sitting she will try to break that paw before the dremmel hits- she doesnt like seeing it go near her.

Funny that she's good now, the first time I groomed her I thought I better find a great groomer. I had to wrap her in a blanket and sit on her to wipe her nose fold. Then she discovered turkey slices and she's easy now.

Hopefully the cone works. Also to avoid being scratched to death one of my friends puts socks on the feet not being filed.

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 10/19/2009, 9:10 am

We've totally given up on Lola. My Vet won't even try to clip her nails because she gets so worked up. Her breathing becomes crazy, she fights, bites, scratches and screams bloody murder. We are taking her in to be sedated to get them trimmed. I am a very bad pug owner because her nails are pretty long right now. I even tried clicker training with the dremmel and Lola will get excited when she sees the dremmel and even place her paw on it while it's on but the minute you try to use it on her, forget it.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2