Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about a wart

+2
GingerSnap
lola's mom
6 posters

Go down

Question about a wart Empty Question about a wart

Post  lola's mom 10/4/2009, 9:00 am

My friend Tiffany's pug Midge has a large papilloma wart coming out of her wrinkle. She is concerned because she is supposed to be bringing a new puppy home in a couple of weeks and she said the wart or virus is contagious. She wanted me to ask my PA Peeps if it will harm the new puppy because he won't have a great immune system yet.

What are your thoughts? I didn't google anything and thought I'd just ask the experts here. :)
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Question about a wart Empty Re: Question about a wart

Post  Guest 10/4/2009, 11:18 am

Thanks for posting Kerrie! I just registered online because I figured this is a great community to be a part of. We might make an appointment with our vet tomorrow if she has an opening, to get her opinion too.

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 10/4/2009, 11:28 am

Welcome, Tiffany and Midge! I can't wait to meet the new puppy soon!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 10/4/2009, 11:29 am

Ginger ... it's a frenchie!!!!
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 10/4/2009, 11:31 am

OMG-- we're going to have a Frenchie puppy?!?!?!? I can't wait!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 10/4/2009, 11:41 am

Finger's crossed. I'm calling the vet to hopefully get Midge in first thing to see what she thinks. I know that warts are contagious (which is how she got it.) But I'm wondering if the virus is out of her system & now the wart is just superficial until it falls off. I really want this puppy!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/4/2009, 3:48 pm

If it is anything like Human Papilloma Virus, she should be completely wart-free. Let us know what the vet says.

And is that Midge in your avatar? Another black diva? We do need to start Black Divas United! Welcome to PV! Drinking
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 10/5/2009, 11:02 am

Welcome to PA!!!! I am Marci and Bella had a wart that we had removed because it was bothering her, but not aware if it was a contaigous kind or not. It was between her toes. No one else got one....
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 10/5/2009, 1:32 pm

It's a toss up. Bruno had a huge papilloma wart on his lip for weeks. The vet said that it is contagious, but some dogs are more prone to get them than others. At the time, it was just Chester and Bruno and they licked each other all the time. Chester has never had a wart in his life. So I'm betting the vet will tell you that it is probable that the puppy could get a wart but it's not definite.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 10/5/2009, 8:30 pm

Thank you to everyone for posting! Well, I never made an appointment with the vet as the new puppy is pendng already. Question about a wart Icon_cry After much googling though, the papillomas seen to be contagious. Mostly to dogs under 2 years of age, or to older dogs that may have never gotten them. It seems it's a bit like chicken pox in humans. Once you get them, you don't get them again but if you've never had them, there's a good chance you can get them.

I think it is all for the better. I wouldn't want an 8 week old puppy at risk. Better to wait until Midge is wart free. Hopefully it'll be gone in time for Halloween, or else I will need to change her costume from a french maid to a witch! Ha, ha, ha.

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 10/6/2009, 12:57 am

This isn't your question, but wanted to share our experience with warts. Our first pug Java (RIP) had a major wart problem on the muzzle when she was around 1 year old. One wart appeared. It was removed. Then it came back somewhere else. Removed. Then one on the end of her tongue. Removed. It was driving me and the vet crazy. So six warts or so later, the vet finally sent one of the warts off to U.C. Davis Vet. Medicine school and they made a vaccine from it. Gave it to Java and she never had a wart again.

Wanted to share this just in case you had the same wart problems!
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down