Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chronic Diarrhea?

5 posters

Go down

Chronic Diarrhea? Empty Chronic Diarrhea?

Post  Saira 11/26/2009, 4:55 pm

Just throwing this out to see if anyone had any ideas. We got a call about a 4 year old pug mix who has been having continuous diarrhea for the last 9 months. They have had numerous tests done, and nothing has shown up. The vet even put her on a cycle of antibiotics just to see if maybe it was a parasite that wasn't showing up. The only levels that were a little off were a low vitamin B, but they added that as a supplement and the retest levels were fine. They switched to a grain free food, thinking maybe it was allergies, but that didn't help either.

Any ideas??
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Chronic Diarrhea? Empty Re: Chronic Diarrhea?

Post  northernwitch 11/26/2009, 5:15 pm

I'd think PLE or IBD. We currently have a dog in care suffering similar problems--we've put her on a low dose of pred and Tilosan and modified her diet significantly.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 11/26/2009, 5:20 pm

northernwitch wrote:I'd think PLE or IBD. We currently have a dog in care suffering similar problems--we've put her on a low dose of pred and Tilosan and modified her diet significantly.

I was thinking IBD-I forgot about PLE, I will send her info on those. Thanks Blanche.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 11/26/2009, 8:59 pm

I would think IBD, we had a foster that was diagnosed with IBD. They actually did a biopsy on him but they had him in for surgery at the same time. I did a ton of research and put him on Natural Balance Allergy formula. He also got an antacid 1xday. I can't remember the mg, but he weighed about 22lbs and I would have to make a dose for him to coincide with his weight.

I hope that they can get it figured out. The poor pug!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 11/26/2009, 11:56 pm

It might not be the grains that are causing the allergy, it could be the protien sorce. I would try something like a fish based diest if they haven't already, or try changing up the food to see if it makes any difference.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/27/2009, 5:14 am

I'm not sure if the diagnosis is food-related but, in everything I've been reading lately, the suggestion is to cut out the grains completely and feed a simplified food with a single source of protein - and an uncommon one at that.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down