Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jasmine

4 posters

Go down

Jasmine Empty Jasmine

Post  Miss Pugg 12/21/2009, 9:21 pm

Jasmine has been fighting IBD for months & was finally diagnosed recently, got down to 11 lbs., today 5 wks. on Prednisone, weighs 11.7. Vet felt she could have her rabies shot now (due in Sept.) so she got that. She also found fleas around her tail area so I bathed her & sprayed that area only with flea spray. I didn't have her for her rabies shot 3.5 years ago (she was a rescue) so don't know if she had a reaction or not. So far, there is no reaction & she's in good spirits. Would I be taking a chance to put Frontline Plus on her NOW? Or should I wait a few days and let the fleas take over? I didn't realize she had fleas until the vet found them this a.m. & the bath sure did a number on them. She never scratched or dug. I use Frontline Plus on all of them and did them about 6 weeks ago. Vet wanted me to try Promaris but I've heard bad things about it (as well as Prohart) and I had just bought a 3 mo. supply of Frontline Plus. Any ideas? Thanks
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Jasmine Empty Re: Jasmine

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 12/22/2009, 12:40 am

Joanne, I don't have any input on the drugs you mentioned. I did want to keep you and Jasmine in my thoughts though. I lost my pug Jewel two years ago to severe inflammatory bowel disease, and all the related complications. Hugs to both of you.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/23/2009, 2:56 pm

yeah..I am not to familiar either, sorry!. Ive used frontline before and it worked fine on my little guy..but your situation is a little different and i dont want to advise you improperly. give your call a vet again perhaps? or talk to a vet tech? i hope that the fleas go away soon! best of luck!

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 12/23/2009, 3:40 pm

We have had great sucess in rescue using Promeris for our demodex cases. I think it is a bit overkill for fleas. I am NOT a big fan of comfortis, which is a pill. I have several friends that have had some serious reactions and a breeder I show with lost her dog to it. Do they still have Prohart on the market?
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Jasmine Empty Jasmine

Post  Miss Pugg 12/23/2009, 10:54 pm

My vet's office has a big sign saying Promaris is baaaaack!!!! I wouldn't use it for anything from what I've heard. Willow and Buffy had Frontline Plus put on them Mon. night and Willow is scratching like crazy (she wasn't before). I am scared spitless about all this chemical stuff we're putting on them....I think we are going to put FP on JAsmine tonight, it's been 3 days since she had the rabies shot. If our power goes out in the predicted storm, we would go to our son's down the street and I wouldn't want to bring fleas to their home and yellow Lab.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/25/2009, 3:18 pm

I have used Revolution with good success with my guys--but only use it from May to November. I have used Zodiac flea and tick shampoo when I have a shelter dog coming in. quite effective.

We've had several dogs with IBD--some worse than others. We generally put them on Pred and either Tilosan or Metronidazole and a special diet. IBD can take lots of forms--we tend to see more PLE than IBD, but the diets are quite similar.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Jasmine Empty IBD

Post  Miss Pugg 12/25/2009, 9:49 pm

Do you know what kind of special diet the IBD Pugs are on? JAsmine is allergic to so much that her food choices are very limited. I did put Frontline Plus on her Thursday night, 3 days after her rabies shot, and for the last 2 days, her darned diarrhea has come back. It had gotten firm with using the Prednisone and I'm wondering what has caused the diarrhea again. I am getting frustrated about it all as I thought we were over the hump. Can you tell me the difference of those diseases you wrote about (for IBD & can't remember their names, you used initials)? Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/25/2009, 9:53 pm

IBD is Irritable or Inflammatory Bowel Disease and PLE is Protein Losing Enteropathy. The dog's we have with either of these are on home cooked diets--usually potato, cottage cheese, fish (Mackeral if you can find it). Chicken is used alot with IBD and PLE, but many dogs are allergic to it. Send me your email, Joanne and I'll send you the diets I have. My email is blanche.axton@gmail.com
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down