Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anal gland expressing question

+4
smoochieface
Maryjo
Saira
PhoebesMommy
8 posters

Go down

Anal gland expressing question Empty Anal gland expressing question

Post  PhoebesMommy 7/1/2010, 1:35 pm

Hi All! I have a quick question about getting a pugs anal glands expressed. On Saturday Phoebe has a "spa day" set up at the groomers. This is my first time taking her to the groomers for something other than for her nails. Well my roommate takes her pug to this place so i figured i would try it out and their prices are super cheap and this place is cage free so she has cage free play time while shes waiting her turn and for me to pick her up. Well she will be getting a bath, brushed, pedicure, ears and wrinkles cleaned and some sort of breath stuff. It also says they do their anal glands. I was talking with my bff this morning and she was a bather at a petsmart groomer and she told me not to have her anal glands done if she didnt need them to be done because a dog will clean them theirselves (possibly their instincts?) Is this true? I trust my bff 100% but I just want others opinions. Phoebe just turned a year old in June and has never had them done but she doesnt scoot her butt across the floor as if she has an itchy heiny (sorry i dont know how else to explain that:) any suggestions would be appreciated. If she doesnt need that to be done I will by all means NOT do it but if its something that would be better for her I will go ahead and do it since it is in the package that she is having done. Thanks in advance!!!
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Number of posts : 901

Back to top Go down

Anal gland expressing question Empty Re: Anal gland expressing question

Post  Saira 7/1/2010, 1:41 pm

Personally, I don't think you need it done if she's never a had a problem with it. Out of my 3 pugs, Hooligan only needed it done once (he is 9 years old) and my other 2 have never had issues with it. A few of my fosters have needed it, but they did the butt scooting thing so I knew they needed to be taken in, but that's just my two cents! Some pugs do need it on a regular basis though.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 7/1/2010, 1:46 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. *LOL*

Add canned pumpkin (if you can find any) to her food and she might never need her anal glands done. A spoonful of canned pumpkin in their evening meal does wonders for my gang. NOT pumpkin pie mix, just straight canned pumpkin.

It is hard to find right now, but it chould get easier soon. I guess a bad year for pumpkins last year cut the supply donw.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 7/1/2010, 2:02 pm

Maryjo wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. *LOL*

That's my opinion, too. Some pugs have the ability to "self express" their anal glands when they have a bowel movement so then never need to have their glands expressed. Some pugs can't do this and do need to have their glands expressed. If she's never "leaked" on you, I woudn't fiddle with it.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 7/1/2010, 2:11 pm

When I read this topic, I will swear that I smelt "butt juice!" I agree with everyone else, if they don't need it there it is not necessary for someone to be squeezing on your pug's butt. I believe that if done incorrectly, it can cause some damage as in ruptured anal glad sacks. As long as your pug is getting good quality food and they haven't had a problem, I would not worry about it. Other pugs have problems and need to be expressed on a regular basis. It may be that your firend's pug has this issue.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 7/1/2010, 2:22 pm

Thanks for your replies. She has never "leaked" on me before or anything. She doesnt scoot across the floor, and as for her food I have her on Natures Variety Prairie and Natures Variety raw, and she has been on that for about 5 months now she seems to love it and be doing well with it.
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/2/2010, 2:38 pm

Well, I wish we didn't have the stinky butt going on here....but, occassionally, we get some stinky butts, and I have to do the deed. Sigh....it sure isn't fun. But, pumpkin has made a HUGE difference for my gang.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 7/2/2010, 5:06 pm

the only reason I take Zoe to the vet to get hers done is she does the BOOTY SCOOT. unfortunately, it's more common than most dogs. I have to take her once every 3 weeks! I've tried pumpkin, but that doesn't work with her. I'd rather not have to do it, but at least my vets are nice and it's just $10. I usually get her nails done too.
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 7/2/2010, 6:00 pm

Well growing up my family and I had an English Bulldog. She was fine til we got hers done one time at the vet, then after that we had to take her back every few months to get it done because she was scooting her butt. Ive heard that since we had it done once thats why we kept having to have it done on her. Is this true or is it just possibly a herriditary thing? Like I said she eats very good food and hasnt shown signs of needing it done. She has her appointment tomorrow so I will just have them not do it. Thanks for all your input!
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  FurSprinklers 7/2/2010, 6:19 pm

As a groomer, I agree with everyone else. She's still young and shouldn't have to have them expressed yet. Only when she starts to have troubles. Make sure you see the groomer write down on her card not to express the glands or she might forget! pug2
FurSprinklers
FurSprinklers

Number of posts : 675

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down