Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News...

+16
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
juneau hunter
papaspugs
Eph91
Puglove2
MommaJones
H the P
Snifter&Toddy
TxAllieGrl
northernwitch
Pugsaunt
Old Mother Hubbard
smoochieface
Two Crazy Pugs
Aussie Witch
Maryjo
20 posters

Go down

Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News... Empty Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News...

Post  Maryjo 8/10/2010, 8:21 pm

If you recall, my friend Sadie's pug, Fia, had to have a mass removed while I am watching her because Sadie is out of town.

The vet called me with the results. A fast-growing, grade 3 MCT, without clean margins. Dr. Jen said a blood vessel is involved. Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News... Icon_cry She is very guarded on prognosis. But that vet is cautious.

She called Sadie, who than called me crying. I explained about 'quality of life' and that it could be a long time. Fia is happy, eating, sassy, and playing. For now she's fine. I used my Louisie as an example- she passed away from cancer when she was 13.5 years old (Sadie is 6-7), and currently Rocky has several MCT's that we're not messing with and he's 11.

Pray Fia has many years left. At least we caught this early.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News... Empty Re: Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News...

Post  Aussie Witch 8/10/2010, 8:23 pm

DAMN. DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN. Are they going to do follow-up treatment? I REALLY highly recommend chemo if the vet thinks it will help. Many prayers for Sadie and Fia. Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News... 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Two Crazy Pugs 8/10/2010, 8:26 pm

((((hugs))))) for your friend. Not good news. Hopefully Fia has many MANY more years of happiness.
Two Crazy Pugs
Two Crazy Pugs

Number of posts : 1295

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 8/10/2010, 8:26 pm

I'm so sorry for Sadie and Fia. Sadie must be so upset. She's lucky to have you to lean on, Maryjo, and Louisie is the perfect example of a great senior diva who had an amazing quality of life and basically gave cancer the bird.

You guys probably know this already, but when Chester had his MCT, I emailed the head of Pugs N Pals and asked her opinion. This is the protocol they use for their MCT pugs - and I chekced with my vet and they also prescribe Benadryl therapy for higher grade MCT's without clean margins or that are inoperatble. Hope this helps some.

Huge hugs to Sadie.

what we use is Benedryl twice a day to keep them at bay and then use this too

Immune blend from B-Naturals.

Bertes Immune Blend (1 lb) #03280 $29.95

Bertes Immune Blend is a medicinal mix of essential vitamins, digestive enzymes, probiotics and liver powder for palatability. It is formulated for dogs with serious health issues, especially cancer. Most dogs find this blend very tasty so we recommend that you keep the container out of their reach!

http://b-naturals.com
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 8/10/2010, 8:49 pm

Hugs to Sadie and Fia. I second the Benadryl therapy as I did it with Nelson.
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 8/10/2010, 9:13 pm

That is not what we wanted to hear. I'll keep Fia in my prayers, and Penny and I send hugs to Fia and Sadie and to you.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/10/2010, 10:25 pm

Well, shit. I'm sorry to hear this news, MJ. Give Sadie my support and I'll hope for lots more time for Fia.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 8/10/2010, 11:00 pm

I use Benadryl for Rocky, and I told Sadie it wouldn't hurt to start it for Fia.

Chemo up here is around $5-10 thousand bucks., Sadie doesn't have that kind of money. I didn't have it for Louisie, either, so we're going for quality of life.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 8/11/2010, 12:27 am

crap. I can't imagine what it'd be like to get that diagnosis and be away from home.

Sending gentle hugs to Fia, and many hugs for Sadie too. I hope she has a long life yet!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 8/11/2010, 12:37 am

I'm so sorry MJ. I didn't realise it was that expensive up there. I hope she can have LOTS of time. Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News... 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 8/11/2010, 4:08 am

That's horrid news. Sending best wishes.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 8/11/2010, 5:28 am

Absolutely not the news we all wanted to hear. Good puggy vibes being sent, that hopefully Fia may have some quality time left with her mum. Hugs all round. Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News... 335895

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/11/2010, 7:57 am

Not what anyone wants to hear. I hope that Fia has many, many more years with Sadie. I'll keep them in my thoguhts.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 8/11/2010, 8:06 am

that's terrible. i will pray for fia.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 8/11/2010, 8:39 am

I'm sorry to read this; hoping she has many happy years ahead.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 8/11/2010, 8:41 am

I thought that I posted last night, but I guess that it did not. There is a pug with SEPRA that had a huge (orange) size MCT removed from her chest. There was no way to get clean margins because of the location. She is otherwise healthy and it does not seem to affect her right now. I would have Sadie talk to the vet about a maintenance program. Possibly benadryl and maybe a grain free diet. Pug hugs to Fia, Sadie, and you. I am sure that she is so grateful to have such a good friend to rely on during this time.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 8/11/2010, 8:55 am

So sad to hear this. My heart is breaking for your friend. I hope Fia lives a nice long life.
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 8/11/2010, 8:56 am

I am so sad to hear this. I will be praying for your friend and Fia
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 8/11/2010, 9:52 am

I'm so sorry the news is not better. Sadie is lucky to have you, MJ. I hope Fia continues to have good quality of life and has many more years left. Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News... 335895
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/11/2010, 12:42 pm

This really stinks! Poor Fia - it came on so quickly. And, Sadie must be devastated. When is she coming back?

I hope Fia can have a good quality of life left in her, she's so young. Thank goodness you spotted her owie MJ. Imagine if it went on longer.

Hugs and good wishes for Sadie and Fia.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 8/11/2010, 12:52 pm

Renee wrote:This really stinks! Poor Fia - it came on so quickly. And, Sadie must be devastated. When is she coming back?

I hope Fia can have a good quality of life left in her, she's so young. Thank goodness you spotted her owie MJ. Imagine if it went on longer.

Hugs and good wishes for Sadie and Fia.

Sadie will be back Sunday. I'm hurting because Sadie left me with a healthy pug, and now she has stitches on her bum and a gloomy forcast for the future.

Would it have been better if I hadn't spotted the rash on her that started all this? I don't know. Fia's Tumor- NOT Good News... 253213 I just hope Sadie forgives me (not that she's blaming me).
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 8/11/2010, 12:55 pm

It's pretty rough being the one that finds something that turns out bad. And, stressful for you, since she's not your pug. I'm sure Sadie is very grateful that Fia stayed with you and you are such a good pug-mom. It could have gone on much longer.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 8/11/2010, 3:14 pm

I will say a prayer for Sadie & Fia. I'm sorry that the news was not better.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadie 8/22/2010, 9:20 pm

Hi everyone! I've finally had a chance to catch up on the forums. Thank you all for your caring comments and support. It was quite a shock to hear this when i was so far away (Arizona to be exact) but I knew that being with MJ was the BEST place for this to happen. My DH would probably never have noticed it! I did put Fia on the Benedryl routine, twice daily, and will keep that up, if it means having her stick around for a few more years. It doesn't seem to bother her to take it so that's what we're doing.
She seems like the same ol girl I left at boot camp, but I do believe she's down a couple pounds! After looking at that photo of her on the back of the couch--YOW! she definitely needs a lot of weight off. I knew she was getting fat but I didn't see her as that fat!! (Bad Mommy!!) So, she is doing just fine. Just as bouncy and crazy as she always was. Aunt Maryjo dropped by yesterday to help remove stitches in her butt and check how she was doing and her surgery spot is looking pretty good. I have thought about all the different treatments and for the time being, we're gonna stay at home and see how it goes. I'm all about the quality of life too and right now, she is just having a good time. I'll let Miss Louise guide Fia and me thru this for now.
Once again, it is so wonderful to have caring friends like all of you, to hash things over with and for the support that is sometimes needed. I am so pleased to be a member of 'The Pug Party" !! It's the best! excited Very Happy
Sadie
Sadie

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella 8/23/2010, 12:07 am

I'm glad her little bum is healing and I hope she has many more good years left with you.
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down