Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food Suggestions?

+10
Pugsaunt
PhoebesMommy
MommaJones
pugfish
Dboardman
Renee
MandyPug
GingerSnap
northernwitch
RicaThePugLover
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Food Suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Food Suggestions?

Post  Puggered 9/1/2010, 7:19 am

pugpillow wrote:
Not Afraid wrote:
Also, contrary to popular belief, it is MUCH better to change your dogs food on a regular basis. Whether it is every week or so, or different foods at different meals, your dog will be less likely to develop allergies, ear infections, skin problems, etc if the protein source is changed on a regular basis. Whatever food you choose, make sure the brand offers several protein sources that you can alternate between. Eating the same thing every day is not nutritionally good for a dog - nor would it be good for us.

So true!!

I third that...I feed a mainly raw diet, but I deliberately include a small amount of kibble with multiple grain sources 'cos I believe in exposing them to commonly irritating grains (corn, wheat etc.) in small amounts so that they can build up tolerance. I don't try to make them tolerant to ridiculous artificial colours and flavours, though, so I don't pick just any kibble. (Don't try this if your dog has already developed allergies, though, and don't give too much grain.)
I also make sure they regularly get protein from different sources (including some vegetable protein) so their gut has access to the widest range of suitable amino acids. The immune system needs exercising just as much as the muscle system, in my view.
The most important thing to bear in mind is that the canine digestive system is designed to be semi-omnivorous. I do not and would not feed a cat the same diet, they wouldn't get sufficient nutrition.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2