Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nose fold goobers

+2
thminis
Julia&Toby
6 posters

Go down

nose fold goobers Empty nose fold goobers

Post  Julia&Toby 3/7/2012, 11:26 pm

I usually run a kleenix through their nose folds every few days. Boopers always has dry stuff in there, nothing too gross. However Chubbs has a very wet nose fold. I see a little pink blood sometimes :( And recently it's been "gooey" in there (blech) and yesterday I cleaned it around 8 am and then at 11 we noticed tons of new gunk had built up so we cleaned again! He has a habit of rooting around the backyard looking for bunny droppings to munch on, so we thought that was the cause of his nose fold goobers, but yesterday he never went bunny dropping hunting so obviously that's not it.

He has more tears than Boopers, so that *may* be some of the moisture. Any thoughts as to what causes the nastiness? Best way to prevent? Best way to clean it out? He won't let us touch his nails or ears but seems to enjoy having the nose fold cleaned.

We are going to change food soon. They have been on Healthwise lamb and oatmeal for about 4 years but local store will not carry it anymore and we want to see if new food helps with ear and nose goobers.

Julia&Toby

Number of posts : 93

Back to top Go down

nose fold goobers Empty Re: nose fold goobers

Post  thminis 3/8/2012, 12:10 am

Vet clinics or pet stores sell wipes that are good for nose rolls. It may be time for a vet visit since nose rolls can become infected just like ears. Bella gets icky nose gunk all too often and we actually use an old steroid/antibiotic eye ointment (the ophthomologist told us we can use it in the nose roll). It usually clears it up in a day, but it sounds like Chubbs nose roll may be slightly infected (especially if you see slight blood from inflammation).

Last edited by thminis on 3/8/2012, 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accidentally wrote "vet stores" lol)
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 3/8/2012, 4:46 am

I'd check with the vet if the gunk is building up that quickly.

On an ongoing basis, as Chubbs tends to have a wet nose roll I would use the kleenex or a cotton wool cosmetic pad daily to keep it drier.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 3/8/2012, 7:41 am

I would definitely go to the vet to check for infection first.

For everyday cleaning; Julian has a lot of tears too so I use sterile gauze to wipe out the wetness (kleenex are too rough/I learned that here)

Also, to clean them, I use malaket wipes (amazon.com has them/I learned that here too) twice a week and clean his ears with them too at the same time.

As for food, we only use lamb bc Julian is allergic to everything else, we are now using Taste of the Wild...what a positive difference...(Sierra Mountain)

As for cutting nails and such, we go to the vet every few months for those things..Good Luck
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/8/2012, 11:26 am

I fight a never ending battle with Hooli's nose folds. He's the only one of my 3 that has a deep one, and when he has allergies (environmental), his eyes water, which then go into the nose folds, creating a gross cycle. Our vet gave us an ointment we can use to clean it out, that works well-during the days he's really bad, I have to do it daily for about 10 days before it starts clearing up.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia&Toby 3/13/2012, 7:14 pm

well we moved his well pet visit up a month and the vet said "well it's either yeast or bacteria." Culture came back for both!! Shocked So now he gets to take special "light sensitive" pills twice a day (peanut butter or cheese to hide it, he will love that). And then we have little pads to clean out his nose fold twice a day for two weeks, then once a day or two weeks, then every other day for two weeks...

he is officially the high maintenance pug in the house Wink i'm sure Boopers will try to top him soon.

Julia&Toby

Number of posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 3/13/2012, 9:28 pm

Julia&Toby wrote:well we moved his well pet visit up a month and the vet said "well it's either yeast or bacteria." Culture came back for both!! Shocked So now he gets to take special "light sensitive" pills twice a day (peanut butter or cheese to hide it, he will love that). And then we have little pads to clean out his nose fold twice a day for two weeks, then once a day or two weeks, then every other day for two weeks...

he is officially the high maintenance pug in the house Wink i'm sure Boopers will try to top him soon.

Nose folds can be a pain! Glad you guys got somethings to help fight the infections. Sounds like maybe Clavamox is the oral meds. Definitely a good broad spectrum antibiotics. Good luck with the boy!
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  lotusseeds 5/2/2012, 5:31 pm

Dumpling has chronic yeast in her nose fold, it gets worse when she has carbs like fruit. SHe has multiple allergies and the big thing that the dog allergist told me to use are Douxo wipes. Since I started using them, she has no more yeast or bacterial infections because the yeast compromises the skin. I give her a good wipe with one split in 1/2 every day. The hair has grown back and everything! I get mine on amazon for less than the from the vet allergist Wink

I hope your wee lad is on the mend soon!
lotusseeds
lotusseeds

Number of posts : 213

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down