Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unprovoked Aggression (Long and non-pug)

+12
Pugsaunt
Sara
pugpillow
MommaJones
papaspugs
Renee
northernwitch
pugasaurus
Maryjo
TNPUGMOMOF3
Saira
Amber
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Unprovoked Aggression (Long and non-pug) - Page 2 Empty Re: Unprovoked Aggression (Long and non-pug)

Post  Pugsaunt 10/21/2010, 5:51 pm

No advice, Amber, just hugs for you and a prayer for Einstein.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Unprovoked Aggression (Long and non-pug) - Page 2 Empty Re: Unprovoked Aggression (Long and non-pug)

Post  Puglove2 10/21/2010, 6:27 pm

lots of good thoughts for you and einstein, amber. i'm sorry you are going through this.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 10/21/2010, 9:40 pm

pugpillow wrote:
Amber wrote: I thought they checked his Thyroid when we were there last month but I will to ask them to check again.

Often as a matter of routine, they will only check the T4 and T3 (and TSH which is useless) which doesn't tell enough. But before you go to the expense of testing again, have a look at the lab results to see just which tests they did do. And make sure that he's tested 4-6 hours after his breakfast.

Good to know! Thank you!!

And thanks again to all of you Very Happy We have the best group ever.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 11/23/2010, 11:26 am

Amber,

As others have said, don't beat yourself up. I'm sure that I missed something with Taz before we had the chance to have him checked. He had always loved riding in the car, always slept in my lap if on the couch and never breathed heavy or drank much water. He began drinking a lot, panting and would go and lay on the couch but not in my lap. I thought that he was just getting older. I did have him checked for diabetes and a regular blood panel done, but nothing showed up abnormal. Then, he collapsed which lead to us finding he had laryngeal paralysis. I'm pretty sure that he may have had Cushings which lead to the extra complications after surgery and his ultimate death. I did all that I knew to do without putting him through unnecessary stress.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 11/23/2010, 12:02 pm

Leslye,
I'm pretty sure Cushings is what took Einstein's brother Mack who passed a few years ago. I didn't connect the dots until it was too late. I think it's easy to do with that disease.

Einstein is now on a pain medication for arthritis in his hips and we are on a "wait and see" if that works with regards to his behavior. I can already tell a big difference in his mobility - hello more thoughts of "Why didn't I see this before?!?" Ahh well, I suppose it's hard to see the changes when you live with them and therefore see them everyday.
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 11/23/2010, 12:13 pm

Amber, it is indeed hard to notice the changes when you live with the dog every day. The majority of us here know this only too well. Please don't feel gulty about it; many of us have been where you are.
Hugs to Einstein. hug dog

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 11/23/2010, 12:19 pm

Amber wrote:Also one (or maybe both, I'm blanking at the moment) sugested feeding a heavily plant based diet? Any suggestions? He's currently on Taste of the Wild and I know that is high protein.

All that's going to do is kill his kidneys and then make him diabetic. Keep up with the meat but maybe switch to a cooler protein, i've read that "hot" dogs tend to be a little more touchy when being fed "hot" foods.

Cooling Proteins (most cooling to least): Clam, Duck, Egg, Pork

Neutral Proteins (coolest to warmest): Beef, Beef Liver, Rabbit, Chicken Gizzard, Sardine

Warming Proteins (warmest to hottest ): Tuna, Turkey, Chicken, Salmon, Chicken Liver, Lamb, Shrimp, Venison, Trout

So depending on what you're feeding. Maybe try to use the Wetlands formula of TOTW, it looks to be the most cooling of their varieties.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 11/23/2010, 12:53 pm

MandyPug wrote:
Amber wrote:Also one (or maybe both, I'm blanking at the moment) sugested feeding a heavily plant based diet? Any suggestions? He's currently on Taste of the Wild and I know that is high protein.

All that's going to do is kill his kidneys and then make him diabetic. Keep up with the meat but maybe switch to a cooler protein, i've read that "hot" dogs tend to be a little more touchy when being fed "hot" foods.

Cooling Proteins (most cooling to least): Clam, Duck, Egg, Pork

Neutral Proteins (coolest to warmest): Beef, Beef Liver, Rabbit, Chicken Gizzard, Sardine

Warming Proteins (warmest to hottest ): Tuna, Turkey, Chicken, Salmon, Chicken Liver, Lamb, Shrimp, Venison, Trout

So depending on what you're feeding. Maybe try to use the Wetlands formula of TOTW, it looks to be the most cooling of their varieties.

Interesting! I will look into the Wetlands formula. Thanks!
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2