Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are girls so much harder than boys???

+16
thminis
agilepug
Amber
smoochieface
Renee
Denise M
LisaIzzyAggy
Saira
pugasaurus
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
MandyPug
pugsandkids
northernwitch
lindarpugma
DeeAnn
Puglove2
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why are girls so much harder than boys??? Empty Why are girls so much harder than boys???

Post  Puglove2 10/28/2010, 10:29 am

So, I've been working with Violet a lot these past few weeks. She's getting better, but I notice that it takes her sooooo much longer to get things that the boys get right away. I know she knows what to do, but it's almost like she takes her sweet old time to get it. The boys are so good and gentle and she's like a raving maniac at times. Are girls just wired differently or do I just have a big diva on my hands??
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Why are girls so much harder than boys??? Empty Re: Why are girls so much harder than boys???

Post  DeeAnn 10/28/2010, 10:32 am

Puglove2 wrote:So, I've been working with Violet a lot these past few weeks. She's getting better, but I notice that it takes her sooooo much longer to get things that the boys get right away. I know she knows what to do, but it's almost like she takes her sweet old time to get it. The boys are so good and gentle and she's like a raving maniac at times. Are girls just wired differently or do I just have a big diva on my hands??

I think the girls are wired to be Diva's.....
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Number of posts : 991

Back to top Go down

Why are girls so much harder than boys??? Empty Re: Why are girls so much harder than boys???

Post  lindarpugma 10/28/2010, 10:45 am

I always swore that I would never have a male dog for obvious reasons - marking. However that was before I got Buddy. He has his issues because he was mistreated by his first owners but as far as training and being easy going he is so much easier than any of my girls.

I know pugs are stubborn but I am sure that my girls wrote the book on stubborn. They do it when they want, if they want and they way they want. I am thinking it is definately a girl thing.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 10/28/2010, 10:59 am

lindarpugma wrote:I know pugs are stubborn but I am sure that my girls wrote the book on stubborn. They do it when they want, if they want and they way they want. I am thinking it is definately a girl thing.

i know - my girl is soooooo defiant!!! she's smart as a whip, but boy if she doesn't want to do something, no treat or anything is going to make her do it. the boys, on the other hand, are like perfect angels!!!! my girl is so lovable and loyal, though, so i can never be mad at her. i'm just amazed at her strong personality.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/28/2010, 11:06 am

I have never understood why people always want girls over boys. We see it in the rescue all the time. Everyone thinks boys mark--and some do, but neither of my boys do. At least not in the house. But my marker--in the house--is Hazel. Willful, stubborn, smart and the only dog that can make me tear my hair out.

My dad refused to have girls--we only ever had males. He said that bitches made him crazy and he lived with enough human girls as it was.

I always think girls are tougher than boys.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 10/28/2010, 11:12 am

ya, violet marks too, when she feels like it. never had any of my boys do it, except charlie who wasn't properly house-trained - my fault. boys are soooo calm in comparison. winston and basil were stars in their obedience class. in violet's class, the trainer just seemed to give up on her. i don't know if violet has completely turned me off girls, but she does know how to push buttons. just now, winnie was sitting beside me and she came over and totally pushed him off the couch. bossy little thing!
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 10/28/2010, 11:13 am

I blame it on hormones, same for horses!
Once a male is neutered/gelded all of the "other drive" goes away. They are fully focused on you, and what you want.
Females, even when spayed, still have that defiant personality!

Lucy is an angel, until she does not like what you are asking her to do...Then she suddenly can't hear you.
Anna just does not care.
Boston will do whatever, whenever we ask him!
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/28/2010, 11:48 am

pugsandkids wrote:I blame it on hormones, same for horses!
Once a male is neutered/gelded all of the "other drive" goes away. They are fully focused on you, and what you want.
This comment made me laugh. I used to ride a mare that was an absolute nightmare in the barn. Tacking her up was an enterprise in fast reflexes and never taking your eyes off of her. But once on her back, there was no horse upon whom I felt safer. She was brilliant--could scope out when you didn't actually know what you were doing or if your approach to a jump was off--she'd correct for you and never spooked, threw me or otherwise acted like a "mare". But in the barn........yikes.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 10/28/2010, 11:57 am

northernwitch wrote:
pugsandkids wrote:I blame it on hormones, same for horses!
This comment made me laugh. I used to ride a mare that was an absolute nightmare in the barn. Tacking her up was an enterprise in fast reflexes and never taking your eyes off of her. But once on her back, there was no horse upon whom I felt safer. She was brilliant--could scope out when you didn't actually know what you were doing or if your approach to a jump was off--she'd correct for you and never spooked, threw me or otherwise acted like a "mare". But in the barn........yikes.

My first pony was an 11 hand, welsh/shetland mare. She dumped me on my head more times then I can count. But other then those moments she was wonderful!

Sorry, back to dogs hug dog
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 10/28/2010, 12:44 pm

Come on guys! Girls are more fun!

I love a little sass and snark Wink
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 10/28/2010, 1:02 pm

I have to agree, LuLu is definitely more stubborn than her two brothers combined.

I guess you can look at it as good practice for when Maelle finally decides she's ready to make her appearance Very Happy
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 10/28/2010, 1:05 pm

I'll trade for Eli. He is just a jerk and quite proud of it. And always makes me laugh!

But overall, yes, the girls are just so much more intense than the male dogs are. Pugita is Leona Helmsley in a pug suit and she and Lacey hate each other. Pugita bullies poor Bill Bailey out of prime sleeping spots just because she can.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/28/2010, 1:19 pm

I love, love, love Sophie-but, I'd never add another female with her around. LoL I have to say, out of all my fosters, the boys have always been sweet and easygoing, if I had any issues, it would be with a female. My boys are definitely more laid back. Sophie is super smart-I mean, she is scary at how smart she is and how she can figure things out-that makes her a busy body, or she's going to get into trouble. I love that about her, and I like the balance of 2 boys and 1 girl-she is the boss and the bully around here. But yes, one girl at a time is enough for me! However, I actually found it easier to train Sophie because she's so smart-you just have to figure out what makes her click. Food isn't a big deal to her, but attention and praise is.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 10/28/2010, 1:47 pm

pugasaurus wrote: Pugita is Leona Helmsley in a pug suit and she and Lacey hate each other. Pugita bullies poor Bill Bailey out of prime sleeping spots just because she can.

That made me laugh!!

Violet doesn't really go crazy for anything. Maybe hot dogs - I use that for training outside. She's a spitfire, though.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 10/28/2010, 1:52 pm

Puglove2 wrote:
pugasaurus wrote: Pugita is Leona Helmsley in a pug suit and she and Lacey hate each other. Pugita bullies poor Bill Bailey out of prime sleeping spots just because she can.

That made me laugh!!

Violet doesn't really go crazy for anything. Maybe hot dogs - I use that for training outside. She's a spitfire, though.

Try these...

2 cans of tuna (don't drain)
1/2 cup of pumpkin
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp parmesan cheese

blend ingredients in food processor until a good consistancy, i add a bit more flour if it is too gooey. spray a cookie sheet or muffin tins. spread the mixute evenly and cook 25 min at 350. cut the fudgey goodness into squares, and store in the freezer and use as needed.
From: http://digit-fetchit-herdit.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-cookin.html

They're a major hit for all the dogs i know, you can substitute a different kind of flour in there (like oat flour) if there's allergies. Much healthier than "lips and assholes".
MandyPug
MandyPug

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 10/28/2010, 2:51 pm

I love my bad girls. Izzy is scary smart but uses her powers for evil rather than good. Aggy is a sweetheart but the most stubborn creature I've ever met. hug dog Maybe someday I'll get around to some boys but for now we have a "Bitches Only" sign on our clubhouse.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise M 10/28/2010, 8:09 pm

I tell Lola...If she was first, she would have been an only child.

I think that says it all. Laughing
Denise M
Denise M

Number of posts : 109

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/28/2010, 8:11 pm

I have just one girl, and for the most part she's laid back. But, she is the pushiest and most stubborn of all my pugs. She listens when she feels like it. And, she has no problem moving 1 foot from her bed, taking a dump, and going back to bed.

But, she is also the smartest.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 10/28/2010, 8:24 pm

This made me laugh. I don't know anything about girls, but I kept thinking, "wait until you meet the human girl you're carrying. She may yet give Violet a run for her money." Laughing
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 10/28/2010, 8:27 pm

smoochieface wrote:This made me laugh. I don't know anything about girls, but I kept thinking, "wait until you meet the human girl you're carrying. She may yet give Violet a run for her money." Laughing

haha. that's all i need. they may be partners in crime!
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 10/28/2010, 8:52 pm

MandyPug wrote:Come on guys! Girls are more fun!

I love a little sass and snark Wink

I agree!! Genie's sassiness is one of my favorite things about her :) Dora is less sassy but can still hold her own.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  agilepug 10/29/2010, 10:06 am

They're individuals. For me I prefer girl pugs, training wise mine have been so much more driven and excited to do pretty much anything with me. My boy, he just wants to wander around the yard, lie in the sun and get his belly rubbed, which is perfect for most people. I always tell people looking for a pet to get a boy, but consider a girl if you have aspirations to do agility...their busy body, pushy ways makes them so much fun to train, there's always exceptions to this though.

The girls do have attitude to spare, but that's one of the things I love about them!
agilepug
agilepug

Number of posts : 148

http://www.westoverpugpack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 10/29/2010, 12:32 pm

Bella is my family's first female dog. We always only had one dog at a time growing up and they were only males. When we already had Reggie and were looking for a second, we figured we'd get a female. I think if we had two females at home, our house would be even more of a nut house than it already is. I'm quite thankful for Reggie's stereotypical laid back male-ness (even though he is alpha). To be fair, Reggie is quite laid back, but he was/is very easy to train and quite enjoys doing what I ask...most days. He also enjoys exploring outdoors a lot more than Bella.

But Bella is your classic bitch. She's sassy and snarky and will tell you her opinions. If people in the house get too rowdy, she thinks it's her job to run around trying to round everyone up while yelling at them. Although, she either isn't too intelligent or prefers to let us think she isn't very smart so she can use that to her advantage...(I'm sure it's the later).
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 10/29/2010, 12:38 pm

agilepug wrote:They're individuals. For me I prefer girl pugs, training wise mine have been so much more driven and excited to do pretty much anything with me. My boy, he just wants to wander around the yard, lie in the sun and get his belly rubbed, which is perfect for most people. I always tell people looking for a pet to get a boy, but consider a girl if you have aspirations to do agility...their busy body, pushy ways makes them so much fun to train, there's always exceptions to this though.

The girls do have attitude to spare, but that's one of the things I love about them!

This pretty much sums up how i feel as well. Boy dogs are just too blah for what i want to do.

You should see the sass i get if Izzie doesn't want to do something or if I'm not handling or cuing her properly. She makes a stink about it and i usually end up getting smacked and getting the pleasure of watching her walk away from me snorting and snuffling, probably grumbling under her breath about how much of a nincompoop i am. However when we're on, we're on and we shine. You'd think she doesn't need me out there, she's definitely a problem solver whereas most of my males i've had are just like "hurr derr derp, what do i do maw?" and izzie is all "lets go mum, i know how to do this watch *does obstacle perfectly without cue* see? Something harder now please!"
MandyPug
MandyPug

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/30/2010, 10:16 am

I think alot depends on what you are looking for in a dog. I don't disagree that overall my girls have/had more drive than my boys. Back in the distant mists of time, when I had competitive border collies, my girls were much more driven to work than the boys. The down side was that the girls were harder to call off when it was time to stop, less willing to abide by my commands and more inclined to think a bit more independently than I needed.

Here's a classic example of the "girl" driven border collie as opposed to the boy. I had two BCs--Flee (male) and Fly (girl). Fly could and would herd anything. I had to crate her when I had guests in the house as she would relentlessly herd them--you couldn't get up to go to the washroom as Fly would herd you back into the livingroom. Flee would look to me to see if he needed to be keeping the guests under control. Fly just assumed it and if I asked her not to, she would look at me as if to say "Well, you've clearly lost your mind so I will take control of this situation".

In competition, Flee would be less assertive with a flock of sheep, but was often a better herder. And when we had lost, he would recall to my side and sit. Fly was a very aggressive herder and didn't know the word "Lose". At one competition, we had lost--partly due to her and partly due to me--she refused to recall and ended up driving the flock towards me and ultimately, right over the top of me in her effort to not ever let the sheep have the "upper hand". All of this occurred AFTER we'd been whistled off and disqualified, but she would not leave the field. she was going to "win" no matter what.

I was MUCH younger then and now, in my mid-fifties, I don't want a dog with that much drive or independence of thought. I can live with a bit more "Whatever you say, Mom"--whether the dog is a BC or a pug.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next